Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #181 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueto View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for "hard water"?
Yup - leave it and they will adjust. My water is hard and the bettas do fine with it. The fewer chemicals (if you were thinking of something like PH Down), the better. The only additive you need is a good quality water conditioner like Prime.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #182 
kotarba1986

i am new to bettas and to fish period. i got a nice male vt Betta. this is the second day i have him and i woke up to see his water starting to get cloudy. iv got a filter in the water and a heater set at 78 but iv been trying to lower the PH but was unsuccessful and the PH is at 7.8 is that ok or should i worry about it??
Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #183 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotarba1986 View Post
i am new to bettas and to fish period. i got a nice male vt Betta. this is the second day i have him and i woke up to see his water starting to get cloudy. iv got a filter in the water and a heater set at 78 but iv been trying to lower the PH but was unsuccessful and the PH is at 7.8 is that ok or should i worry about it??

As Lion Mom just stated, leave the PH alone, they will adjust, using chemicals to decrease it will cause more harm then good. What size is your tank? Did you wash off your decorations?
Oh, and welcome to the hobby! :D
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #184 
kotarba1986

i have a 6.6 gal tank for my one Betta. its filtered.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #185 
ericamclain

Hi, all! Just got my first betta, and didn't read this forum until I had already set up and plopped the poor guy in the tank... He's swimming gaily, checking out his new tank, 2 gallons, btw, filtered, with a bubbler stone. No heater, though. I plan on getting a heater tomorrow, to keep him happy. Any other suggestions? Should I get rid of the bubbler? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #186 
ollief9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericamclain View Post
Hi, all! Just got my first betta, and didn't read this forum until I had already set up and plopped the poor guy in the tank... He's swimming gaily, checking out his new tank, 2 gallons, btw, filtered, with a bubbler stone. No heater, though. I plan on getting a heater tomorrow, to keep him happy. Any other suggestions? Should I get rid of the bubbler? Any help would be appreciated!
Hi there, I'm guessing your new? Welcome if so.

First off, 2 gallons is a bit too small for a Betta. It is not urgent, but it would be a good idea to get a tank of at least 5 gallons in the future. It doesn't matter right now, but you will probably notice your fish is happier and more active in a larger tank.

It's great that it's filtered. I personally stick to the no filter, no fish rule. A lot of Betta keepers disagree with me, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

The bubbler stone is actually bad for a Betta tank. The reason is that the bubbles will increase water movement and surface agitation, which the Betta won't like. He won't be able to make a bubble nest with a constantly moving water surface. It's a good idea to get rid of it.

A heater which heats a 2 gallon safely is hard to find. If you upgraded to a 5 gallon, you could easily get a 25 watt heater for your fish.

Hope I helped!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #187 
Lion Mom

Sorry, Ollief, but I must respectfully disagree.

I have bettas is 5 gal. tanks, 3 gal. bowls & 2 gal. drum bowls. SOME I have put in 5 gal. tanks are so overwhelmed by the room (not many, but some) that they start to tail bite. :(

I have small internal filters in each of the bowls and find that 25 watt, submersible, adjustable heaters work great in each of them - the Elite Mini is especially good in that application, IMO, due to it's small size.

Granted, I do tank cleanings multiple times a week on the bowls, but it works - at least for me! :)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #188 
ollief9

As I said, that's just my opinion. I'm not going to argue with you. There is a lot of controversy over the proper tank sizes for Bettas, and from my experience, 5 gallons is the recommended tank size for a beginner Betta keeper. Smaller tanks usually have yo-yo-ing water quality and temperature.

As you are a senior member, I assume you are experienced with Bettas.

If this new member was experienced, they could pull off keeping a Betta in a 2 gallon bowl. But while s/he is a beginner, they may find it easier to keep a 5 gallon stable.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #189 
blueridge

This helped a lot! Thanks for posting it. I didn't know that you weren't supposed to changed your water 100% of the time unless they were diseased.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #190 
ILoveMyBetta50

thanks for posting this, i just got my betta a few days ago and he has been around the bottom a lot, and i am getting a thermometer and heater soon. this is the first time i have owned a betta, along with my friend. i am soon taking care of her fish while she is away they have similar tanks although they are 2 different types of betta. one thing i have noticed while watching him is that he goes to the back side of his tank and he will notice his shadow and begins to puff out his gills and make himself look big. he did this a lot on the first day, but im noticing it less, will he do this a lot?

ILoveMyBetta50
Closed Thread