Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #191 
Newbie14

Thankyou so much for this helpful info! I just inherited my sisters Betta when she moved interstate. He was always kept in a small bowl with no heater. I decided to look up some info so I could look after him properly and found this site. I'd have to say I had no idea that it was bad for them to live in such cramped conditions. I just assumed that that was the way they lived because that's how you get them from the pet stores. But I am happy to say he is now living happily in my 25L (I'm from australia Don't know gallons) tank with my glass cat fish and guppies.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #192 
Lion Mom

Welcome to the forum & to the wonderful world of bettas!!!

You MAY want to start looking for a tank/heater set-up for just the betta - they tend to get pretty aggressive towards guppies. ESPECIALLY the male guppies with their colorful, longer tails - the betta seems to see it as another male betta.

And KUDOS to you for researching!!!! :)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #193 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBetta50 View Post
thanks for posting this, i just got my betta a few days ago and he has been around the bottom a lot, and i am getting a thermometer and heater soon. this is the first time i have owned a betta, along with my friend. i am soon taking care of her fish while she is away they have similar tanks although they are 2 different types of betta. one thing i have noticed while watching him is that he goes to the back side of his tank and he will notice his shadow and begins to puff out his gills and make himself look big. he did this a lot on the first day, but im noticing it less, will he do this a lot?

ILoveMyBetta50
The puffy thing is called flaring. If the light is on in his tank, and it's dark outside of his tank, he will see his reflection a flare. A betta on the bottom is usually cold. Get that heater ASAP.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #194 
NCBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistersmom View Post
Im glad you made this post. I am now in the process of setting my 5gal tank back up to put a Betta in. All the great people in the forum talked me into it.
I feel the same way. I just got my 5 gal tank up and running
Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #195 
ILoveMyBetta50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
The puffy thing is called flaring. If the light is on in his tank, and it's dark outside of his tank, he will see his reflection a flare. A betta on the bottom is usually cold. Get that heater ASAP.
Thanks for that, I actually don't have a light for his tank yet I'm waiting on it to come in because when I ordered it I didn't realize it wasn't in stock at my local pet store they said it would only be a few more days. I have been noticing that his tank heat fluctuates with the temp of my room, so if my room is hot his tank is hot, so I tend to only let my room cool down a bit so that it matches his tank.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #196 
McLizardman

You said for a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, a 50% water change is needed once a week. I heard from another user that a 100% change every 4 days or once a week is good. Which do you recommend?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #197 
Eris Harmonia

It generally won't kill your betta if you don't get a heater on day 1 and get it in the next day or two, right? I only remembered that I was supposed to get a heater as I was acclimating Ginji to his new tank from the pet store cup.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #198 
Neil D

Lol yeah, he can last a day or two.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #199 
betaguy

My beta fish is acting up, first time owner and ive had him for a year. recently hes been going up to the top for air a whole lot at what i calll top speed. seems freaked out
doing what i said or lays at the bottum, just started the other day. was using normal tap water and callled petsmart and they said i needed to dechlorinate the water, i did so last night and there is no change. is there something else that I should try?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #200 
JakkieTeaLoversHerSushi

Although this sticky was useful, I'm still worried about my Betta. I believe the bowl I got him is too small. He just sits at the bottom of the bowl and appears to be sleeping. He wont eat. He'll wedge himself between the glass and the heater I just bought him. Even though the thermometer says his water is at a comfy 75 degrees. I really don't want him to die. But I haven't had a Betta in years. Is he just a laid back fish who likes to sleep? From what I can tell his fins and everything else seem okay so far...is he just not adjusting well to his new environment?
Closed Thread