Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #201 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakkieTeaLoversHerSushi View Post
Although this sticky was useful, I'm still worried about my Betta. I believe the bowl I got him is too small. He just sits at the bottom of the bowl and appears to be sleeping. He wont eat. He'll wedge himself between the glass and the heater I just bought him. Even though the thermometer says his water is at a comfy 75 degrees. I really don't want him to die. But I haven't had a Betta in years. Is he just a laid back fish who likes to sleep? From what I can tell his fins and everything else seem okay so far...is he just not adjusting well to his new environment?
Hey there. What size is your bowl? And is the thermometer inside or outside the tank? Inside the tank thermometers are more reliable and give better accuracy! 75 is okay, but I'm just wondering. Bettas are active fishes, they jump, swim, flare, etc.

Give us more info~!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #202 
ILoveMyBetta50

Thanks for posting this. I used most of this information to diagnose my friends fish. Although while I was busing caring for my friends fish, mine died. I was caring for them both cleaning their tanks. Then mine started acting strange. He would eat and do normal stuff and then he started to be less active and he would put his head in the corner pinned behind rocks and he wouldn't come up for air unless I turned his tank to look at him. He passed when I was out camping. We left on a Friday and we are assuming thats the day he died because when we came back Sunday he was moldy and sunk to the bottom already. I still don't know what he died from.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #203 
kisxena

OMG! Such useful information. I have never had a fish and I was given a betta fish. I was told via the pet store that the betta should be in distilled water. Now, I'm reading that's a definite no no! OY!!!

I have so much to learn and listening to anyone from a chain pet store is the worse thing I can do.

The vase it came in only holds about 1/2 gal of water. I just read that I need to cover it as well since they will jump out. I will have to do a lot of reading on here. I hope it's not too late for my fish. I've had him for 2 weeks now. The first week his water was cloudy because he wasn't eating the pellets they told us to buy. They then said they feed them freeze-dried blood worms. ummmm @_@

He loves the blood worms and the water is still pretty clear. I will be changing it out Saturday. Guess, I will need to do a gradual transition to I guess bottled drinking water. Not sure what I'm going to do with all that distilled water I bought.

A youtube video sent me your way.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #204 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisxena View Post
OMG! Such useful information. I have never had a fish and I was given a betta fish. I was told via the pet store that the betta should be in distilled water. Now, I'm reading that's a definite no no! OY!!!

I have so much to learn and listening to anyone from a chain pet store is the worse thing I can do.

The vase it came in only holds about 1/2 gal of water. I just read that I need to cover it as well since they will jump out. I will have to do a lot of reading on here. I hope it's not too late for my fish. I've had him for 2 weeks now. The first week his water was cloudy because he wasn't eating the pellets they told us to buy. They then said they feed them freeze-dried blood worms. ummmm @_@

He loves the blood worms and the water is still pretty clear. I will be changing it out Saturday. Guess, I will need to do a gradual transition to I guess bottled drinking water. Not sure what I'm going to do with all that distilled water I bought.

A youtube video sent me your way.
Rule one: Don't always trust what pet store employees say. Make sure you do your own research as well.
Most will tell you a 1/2 gallon is too small, and in many ways it can be. You can't use a heater in a half gallon, which you will need since the weather is cooling. A heater in a half gallon will fry the little guy. It is recommended to get at least a gallon.. Kritter Keepers are cheap and much bigger, easier to heat and decorate. Most bettas do better in medium to heavy planted (real or fake) with a cave of sorts to hide in.
Pellets are pretty much the best staple food. Freeze Dried is recommended only for treats, as long as you presoak them in tank water as they have potential to bloat the fish. 4-6 pellets a day, spread out in 2-3 meals is ideal.
In a half gallon you should be doing every 2 days 100% water change at the least. Being so small, the ammonia and such will get deadly high quickly. Another reason small isn't so good.. you have to do many water changes, which stresses the fish out, and because you are doing so many the fish doesn't have time to build up their immune system to bacteria and other things that builds up in the water because the water is too clean. Make sure you add in the water conditioner every time for the correct dose, regardless how much water you take out/add in. For a half gallon, would be easier to dose for a full gallon.
Don't use bottled water. The best water is plain old tap water. Bottled and distilled water lack the proper nutrients needed that you get in tap. It is filtered for our needs (somewhat), not for a fish's need. So use tap, the temp should be 78-82 since bettas are tropical and need the warmth. Any lower you will be causing him to become lethargic and can become sick easier.
Good luck, welcome to the forums and any more questions just make a thread and ask!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #205 
Mersy

How do you do a partial water change? I have had one Betta who recently died and I was wondering that if i get another one, I should no how to do a partial.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #206 
GreenTea

You only change part of the water, hence the term "partial." Meaning you only remove 25% or 50% or whatever amount you want.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #207 
sdgallo

I just recieved a betta fish a gift from mother in law, and i am concerned about his lower fin. i noticed a small hole in the lower fin right next to the body of the fish, now this morning that same hole is now all the way out to the end of the fin!!! does "fin rot" progress this quickly? or is it more likele a tear from the plastic plant that he likes to hide behind when he is not staring at me and puffing up his gills, lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #208 
Mikey1973

I have a betta in a 10gal tank. No heater, but it is filtered and have an air stone going. Is it common for a fish to just use a corner to poo in? Also read they do not like air stones, however mine loves to swim through the bubbles.

Great info on this site.. Thanks to all contributors.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #209 
Neil D

@Mikey,

The airstones are always fun with bettas, as long as it doesn't push him around...
You should get a heater. I also have a 10g betta tank. It is divided however. The Aqueon 50W heater is good.

This site is an amazing tool. Use it well ;)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #210 
WiggleSwim

Is it ok to turn a non-adjustable heater off at certain periods of time. for instance, tonight it is not that cold as it was the past few days and the water was reading 81 degrees when it used to read 74-76. I think it warmed up when his light was on and the radiator not far from his tank was on, too. since the heater is unadjustable, did I make a mistake unplugging it? will it affect my heater if I keep plugging it and unplugging it? I didn't want to overheat him overnight.
Closed Thread