Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #251 
Jake3698

I have a few questions and concerns, i won a Betta today at the fair and didn't have anything to keep him in.. I really did not think it through, on my way home i went to Petco and talked to one of the employees there. She has owned about 20 fish and helped me get a setup going.
I got the Aqueon evolve2 (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...uarium-kit.htm) There it is so you don't have to search for it..
Its roughly 1.75 gallons, i filled up two full gallons from my sink and poured in and had a small amount remaining in the second bottle. I added the included Aqueon water conditioner (The full cap is for 5 gallons, so i did a little under 1/5 of a cap and poured that in) The filter has been running since about 6pm (its midnight) and after reading the main post here I'm worried that the current might be too strong.. The plants i have in there are not very hard, i think. I mean they felt pretty soft but i have blue shiny rocks on the bottom.. He might cut his fins on those, I'm going to take them out tomorrow morning. I was planning on adding the fish at around 5pm tomorrow since i start work at six and don't want to leave him in the little container they gave me when i won him.
Currently there is no heater but my tank has a compartment for one in the back i will be getting one tomorrow and setting it for 80f.
The tank came with "Tropical Fish Flakes" and i gave him a couple.. did not really eat them. Buying new stuff tomorrow, with protein listed as one of the first three ingredients as that's what i read that they need.
I'm extremely worried that some of the aforementioned things may cause me to lose this beautiful fish, i don't have a pic of him right now or i would show.. He is a beautiful one and i have not seen one like him before. The main part of his body is a whiteish/silver that slowly fades to blue about half way down his fins, then turned to a brilliant red.
I named him PoPo because he reminds me of the sirens of a cop.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is... Will my fish be ok? if not how can i make sure he will live a long and happy life?

I'm sorry if there were any spelling mistakes or grammar errors, it is almost midnight and i have not slept in over a day.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #252 
craiger75

I came into bettas almost the same way - kinda got dropped in my lap! My first recommendation would be take a deep breath, read up on here, and start over. I broke the bank buying a lot of needless stuff or stuff that wasn't right. So, my other piece of advice is try to get it right the first time to save yourself time and money - unlike me.

For starters you want to get the basics, then get the extras later as you can afford them. I would say more water conditioner (about half a cap) and frequent water changes are particularly important in an aquarium that size (read the Sticky). You might want a bigger tank (2.5g or larger), a small filter or baffle/modify your existing one, and betta specific food pellets. Ideally, you cycle your tank first to get good bacteria going, but that's kind of a live-and-learn thing - you can always buy a bottle of bacteria or get betta specific bacteria in a foil bag. If something's not right, take it back to the store and get the right item - it's their screw-up if they sold you the wrong thing. There's a lot of misconceptions and myths about bettas so educate yourself.

As far as plants go, if you're using fake ones try to get silk or silk-like I believe - haven't tried them so I can't say definitively. They're more expensive but less hassle than live ones. Gravel - make sure it's smooth, and I can tell you on a personal note; if you do use live plants make sure you use planted aquarium substrate (PAS). I can't tell you how much money I've thrown away on that mistake! And, make sure the plants are aquatic - none of this semi-aquatic business.

You're getting him a heater, which is good but you're going to want a thermometer to monitor the water temperature - preferably one that goes in the water.

You got him out of the jar he came in, and you seem to be a responsible fishkeeper. Popo is a good-looking fish and off to a great start ... Good luck!

Last edited by craiger75; 07-20-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #253 
Jake3698

Thank you! You said something about baffle/modifying my current filter? Is there somewhere where i can read up on that?
I'm not sure if Petco would take it back... I already have everything running, and full.. There are pictures of the tank up too.
I can't buy a new tank yet as i work a minimum wage job and only 8 hours a week. Probably in a couple months.
I'm heading to Petco now to check for the bacteria bags, as i remember reading that cycling takes weeks and weeks to do, i am also going to ask my dad for help. He had a massive fifty gallon salt water tank for years that he took very good care of, i figure there are small similarities here that he can help me with.
The rocks on the bottom are extremely smooth and rounded, i am taking out the blue plastic ones though. They are definitely too sharp for him.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #254 
sparkyluvrebogin

I got my first betta 2 years ago, and I've been through 5 of them...
I feel so sorry for them and I still regret that I should have studied more about them!!!!

The longest one I've had is a female betta--she was special because we brought her home on the day our 17 year old dog passed away.... She (my betta) lived for 2 years, until last December.

Now that I'm seriously into this betta caring (I know, so late) I've been trying to figure out the basics.

Okay, so here's my question---At Petsmart, they advertise that Bettas can live in small jars and tanks, and we bought a 1 gallon tank. But as Cody says, is the minimum really 2 gallons??
If it is, I might have to give up my new betta because we live in an apartment and there is no room for a bigger tank/..... :(
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #255 
JTHM1011

Thanks for the info I was really worried that my betta lysander was sick when he is just cold hope to get a heater soon
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #256 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3698 View Post
Thank you! You said something about baffle/modifying my current filter? Is there somewhere where i can read up on that?
I'm not sure if Petco would take it back... I already have everything running, and full.. There are pictures of the tank up too.
I can't buy a new tank yet as i work a minimum wage job and only 8 hours a week. Probably in a couple months.
I'm heading to Petco now to check for the bacteria bags, as i remember reading that cycling takes weeks and weeks to do, i am also going to ask my dad for help. He had a massive fifty gallon salt water tank for years that he took very good care of, i figure there are small similarities here that he can help me with.
The rocks on the bottom are extremely smooth and rounded, i am taking out the blue plastic ones though. They are definitely too sharp for him.
The link for this article is about baffling. Modifying is simply putting some pantyhose over the uptake valve with a rubberband. Or, a piece of sponge, filter media, cottonballs (almost anything really) in that bottom piece. Judging by the look of that thing, it might already be built-in, so be careful not to break anything.

www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Last edited by craiger75; 07-24-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #257 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyluvrebogin View Post
I got my first betta 2 years ago, and I've been through 5 of them...
I feel so sorry for them and I still regret that I should have studied more about them!!!!

The longest one I've had is a female betta--she was special because we brought her home on the day our 17 year old dog passed away.... She (my betta) lived for 2 years, until last December.

Now that I'm seriously into this betta caring (I know, so late) I've been trying to figure out the basics.

Okay, so here's my question---At Petsmart, they advertise that Bettas can live in small jars and tanks, and we bought a 1 gallon tank. But as Cody says, is the minimum really 2 gallons??
If it is, I might have to give up my new betta because we live in an apartment and there is no room for a bigger tank/..... :(
I wanted a 2.5g but was initially talked into a 1g by my wife. Then bought a 5g off of someone on Craigslist to find out we already had one in the garage! It's really debatable, more room is better (I'd have a 10g if I could but the wife would kill me - lol). But, you're doing your best for him and that's what counts.

Last edited by craiger75; 07-24-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #258 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHM1011 View Post
Thanks for the info I was really worried that my betta lysander was sick when he is just cold hope to get a heater soon
HA ... Yw!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #259 
BETTACHKALOVE

I have bettas for about 6.5 years. A few of them will be 5 years old. If your tank is 1.75 or 2 you need to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. You can have filter and baffle it but it not necessary though to have a filter if you will do those water changes.
Definitely be careful with filters always make sure it not too strong. There is a lot of accidents with betta stock in the filter.
Also with filters you need to rinse them in the old water WITH new water change. Not sure how often since i don't have filters....
And people who don't do 100% water changes need to use gravel vacuum regularly.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #260 
BETTACHKALOVE

Also just want to add something when you change the water make sure the new water is approximately +-4*the same temperature as his water. And take time to acclimate your betta to new chemistry/temperature.

Also always leave space between the top of the tank and water level because bettas are good jumpers and there is a lot of accidents when bettas jumped out. The same when you changing them make sure they don't jump out. I don't use a net , i am using his cup to scoop them and i had one that jumped out. So always cover the cup or a net with your hand....
Closed Thread