Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #261 
ClydesdaleStallioni

Glad you're getting a Betta, Twistersmom! I have one with an ash colored body and orange fins.
About the Betta tank...........great advice! I'm going to get a heater for my Betta as soon as possible.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #262 
Rubyjames

Is a 1.0 gallon tank acceptable and not cruel for a male veil tail? I know the size isn't ideal but unfortunately I'm on a limited budget.

Also, I'm currently using Omega One Betta Buffet flakes for my fish which I bought yesterday. He refuses to eat. Should I wait for him to get more settled in his new home or should I go out and buy some new food like bloodworms?

(Omega One Flakes first ingredients are salmon, cod, krill, rockfish, and shrimp so I know that the food is wholesome and nutritious. The crude protein is 43%.)

Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #263 
BETTACHKALOVE

For one gall make sure you do 1-50 and 1-100% changes a week. Always make sure new water is +-2-4* the same as his water. And take time to acclimate your betta by adding new water to his changing cup for a few times. This way he will acclimate to new temperature/chemistry.

A lot of time bettas don't eat when you just buy them. Did you just buy him?They need to adjust to new environment. I would just try feeding him. Always remove uneaten food though. It very important, because it will contaminate the water. Also i personally don't like flakes because they are messy and half of them sinking to the bottom while betta eating them. So i would suggest also to buy Aqueon BettaFood or New Life SPECTRUM Betta Formula. New Life SPECTRUM not floating pellets though they are sinking to the bottom right away. So if your betta don't eat then it better if you can find Aqueon.
Make sure you use water conditioner.

Is your betta acting normally. Is he active or laying on the bottom of the tank? If you just bought him and he acting normally then he probably just need to adjust to new environment. So just keep trying and keep us update :)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #264 
Rubyjames

I just bought him yesterday. I tried to get his attention a few timers so that I could feed him but he really didn't seem too interested. I put a flake in for a couple of minutes but he was not interested so I removed them. Overall he seems to be doing well. However, he does like to hide underneath my silk plant. Is that normal? I think he might be a little lethargic due to the temperature. I ordered a heater which should do the trick but it isn't to arrive for a few days. For now, I'm just placing a light on him which seems to boost his spirits. He is much more active today than yesterday so it might just be that he needs to get used to his environment.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #265 
BETTACHKALOVE

Usually when they new they very skittish. But you can watch him don't come close so he can see you watch if he is hiding all day long under silk plant then something can be wrong.
I just bought another betta for someone and it took him 3 days to get used to me. As soon as he saw me he was swimming to the bottom. But all day long he was very active.

What temperature in your room?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #266 
Rubyjames

My room is 77 degrees. He still isn't eating.

He's swimming around his tank more now: he likes watching me when I'm lying down in my bed. However, he still seems to retreat to the bottom of the bowl, underneath the silk plant often.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #267 
BETTACHKALOVE

77* is good though. 76-80* is good temperature so you fine. He would not be lethargic due to 77*
A lot of betta don't eat at the beginning so it fine. I know it annoying but just keep offering ...
Make sure you keep up with water changes, acclimating him to the new temp...give us update.

If he swimming more it good, i personally don't like the fact that he hiding a lot so keep eye on him and give us update. I personally think if fish lethargic then something wrong. So keep eye and see how he doing.
What water conditioner do you use?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #268 
Rubyjames

Conditioner is Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus

The fish bowl water feels very cool to the touch, it doesn't feel room temperature. It's very strange. I'm really hoping that he keeps swimming around and stops hiding. I'm getting a little worried. I spent a long time researching Bettas before I got him so I really hope I did everything right. :/
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #269 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You could fill a one gallon jug with water and add conditioner and let it set all day to get to room temperature. Also add about 1/4th hot water to the gallon jug and the rest cold water, add conditioner and shake a few times, let is sit out a couple of hours and check the temperature that works well for me. You can get a something to check the temp of the water at your local pet shop.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #270 
Rubyjames

I just set that up. Im awaiting the arrival of a thermometer/heater n the next few days. Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread