Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #271 
BETTACHKALOVE

I have my bettas in the room without heaters in the summer time . And i have thermometers in each tank and the temperature in the tanks the same as the room.....I love the thermometer strips that you can stick outside of the tank. If you see one i do recommend them. It sensitive to the temperature changes.
http://www.petco.com/N_24_4294956675...rmometers.aspx

The thing is that no matter how experience people are you always can get sick fish form the store. I bought a lot of bettas . I have 8 and i bought about 7 for other people. You always have chance to get sick one.

I saw someone recommended to have emergency kit at home. I always have aquarium , epsom salt and medications at home in case i get sick fish.

I hope you fish will be better. If you think he is lethargic i would treat him . Just watch him and see his behavior and give us update so we can decide what to do . And i guess other people on the forum will write what they think.

Any symptoms on his body? Any spots, bloating, cottony white patches....
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #272 
BETTACHKALOVE

i use aged water all the time for my bettas. I put water conditioner and let water sit for about 12-24 hrs this way new water will be the same temp .
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #273 
Rubyjames

He seems to be in decent physical condition. No unusual spots on his body or fins. His fins appear to be health. The only issue is that the top fin is curled over a little. (I believe that's from the lack of space in his tiny container that I bought him in.) I will do a partial change tomorrow with the sitting water that I just prepped.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #274 
BETTACHKALOVE

Curled fin is might be due to the water hardness i believe, not really due to size of his container. I really don't have issue with ph or hardness of my water so not an expert at all. But i know from reading on this forum that curly fins can be due to the water hardness.
When you change him take long time to acclimate him. Have him in his changing cup and put new water a little bit may be like 15% wait for like 5-10 min and do it again for a few times do it until you fill up the container.

Always make sure you put enough water conditioner . It better to put more then less.

Like i said i don't have problem with hardness or ph. I hope people will give you advice . I think it good idea to check your water in the store. Or you can buy a kit in the store and check your water.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #275 
BETTACHKALOVE

I personally never checked my water . I just never had any issue. If he continue to be lethargic with no other physical symptoms i would think it due to hardness. And i think bettas are very adjustable to it. You just need to acclimate him and i would use aged water to make sure you don't stress him with temp difference when you change him.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #276 
Rubyjames

His fin looks like the dorsal fin of the red one in the top left except mine is a little more curled. I will do a 50% water change tomorrow and will watch for progress.

His fin has been curled like that ever since I got him from the store. Even in the store container, it was curled.

Edit: picture not showing. It's the picture underneath the subtitle "veiltails"
http://betta-plakat.blogspot.com/201...1_archive.html

Last edited by Rubyjames; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #277 
BETTACHKALOVE

Then just give us update.
The only thing that worries me that he is a little lethargic. So watch for that symptom. And he don't eat but again a lot of bettas don't eat at the beginning.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #278 
Rubyjames

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I will make sure to mention his progress.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #279 
BETTACHKALOVE

Good luck :)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #280 
BETTACHKALOVE

I also want to mention that bettas are good jumpers. Make sure to leave space between the top of the tank and water level. And be careful when you cahnge him also they are jump!!!
Closed Thread