Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #301 
LebronTheBetta

It's OK. And your welcome. At least you know when they want to have babies! ;)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #302 
Rubyjames

@BETTACHKALOVE: just an update on my fish you were helping out with a few days ago. He still won't eat. The heater just arrived today and I'm working it out right now. I've done two water changes since I got him.. One was a 50 and one was a 100 just like you recommended. Im getting worried about him. Why isn't he eating?? He will hide at loud noises or when I get close to his bowl.. :(
Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #303 
BETTACHKALOVE

Can you please remind when did you buy him?
And i think these questions are very important. Is he lethargic or active? I know you are new to fish and might don't know what is betta normal behavior though.And the reason why it important question because a lot of time bettas come sick from the store and might not eat , lethargic and die if you will not treat them. Or a lot of time they can be healthy and don't eat for a wile. And it fine they are just adjusting..
Normal healthy betta usually will swim around pretty much all day. And if they are sleeping , my bettas usually sleeping when the light is deem or sometimes during the day.
If you think he is lethargic and still don't have any symptoms on his body i would treat him with salt.

If he is not bloated then i would treat him with aquarium salt.
Give us update so we can decide...

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 08-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #304 
StephieMarie

Hi, I just got my betta, Nova, about a month and a half ago, I'm planning on getting a heater for him since it is getting colder and I've noticed the temp in his bowl is getting even half a degree lower than usual. I was just wondering what other things I should get for him, is there a certain "treat" I can give him? I give him betta pellets two of them a day, and in his bowl he has rocks at the bottom and a plant on the top he likes to hide in the roots. I was wondering if I should get a bigger bowl as well bc it is only a 1 gallon one, and should I get a hiding spot for him? I just want him to be as happy as I can possibly make him.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #305 
LebronTheBetta

Well, if you want him happy, you should upgrade him to the biggest tank you can get him. A 1 gallon bowl/tank is considered the minimum you should keep the Betta in. A good heater is like this. A good treat is like frozen or live foods such as brine shrimp. Freeze dried foods are also fine. Give treats 1-3x per week. Hiding spots are great since they'll feel stressed if they're in an open area. Welcome to the forum BTW!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #306 
StephieMarie

Thank you so much!!! I'm quite literally going crazy trying to figure out what to do with him :p
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #307 
sunlight

Since you have him in 1 gall bowl you need to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week or you can do 100% every 4 days.
When you do 100% water changes make sure new water is appropriately(+-2*) the same temperature as his. If you have 1-gall jug you can put water conditioner let water sit for 12-24 hrs this way water will be the same temperature and you don't shock him with temp difference
Also acclimate him. Have him in his changing cup and add new water let him sit for about 10 min then do it again. Do it for a few times this way he will get used to new temp/chemistry.
I feed them 2 pellets in the morning and 2 pellets at night . Also i give them this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=hikar...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Those i feed a few times a week. You can give them as a snack (3 worms) or you can feed it instead of the pellets like i do it in the morning (5 worms 2 times a week)
It advised to fast betta once a week to clear out the digestive system and makes sure there isn't any build up.
I know frozen and live food is good source of the protein. I don't feed it though i am afraid they can get parasites from that.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #308 
manami

Hello, I need some help.

is temperature from 82 to 84 a little too hot for day time?
His tank is a 2.65 gallon.
I bought him the marina betta 8W from petsmart (non-adjustable heater) and I don't know if its too hot for him.

Also...i'm a little cunfuse of something else too...to be able to know that a temperature is 80 and above is by looking at the long black horizontal line above the 80 number, right?

___
80 like this?

right now the temperature looks like it's about 82 with an extra small line about the long one.

Please help and thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #309 
ANHEL123

kind of too warm. I don't like 84*. What temp in your room? If your room 76-80* i would not use that heater. He would be fine in your room temp. Then you can buy adjustable heater.

2.65 make 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.

When you change his water you need to make sure new water is approx +-2-4* the same as his water. You can let water sit overnight and then just mix room temp with hotter water that you can prepare just before you change him.
Take time to acclimate your betta. Have him in his changing cup. Add about 15% of the new water to his cup. Let him used to if for about 5-10 min then do it a few more times. This way he get used to new temp/chemistry.

Make sure you cover the cup if you leave him without seeing him. Bettas can jumped out ...even in his tank always leave space between the top of the tank and water level.

Is your thermometer like this? Then there is the long line to the left from 80* which will be 85* then long line to the right which will be 90* and so on. And i guess the lines between short lines it about 2*.

google.com
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #310 
ANHEL123

Also i love this kind of the thermometrs that you can stick on outside of the tank and it very sensative show every 2* right away.

Closed Thread