Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #381 
chicklette

When I do a partial water change on Jewel's 2.5 tank very much the same way you do yours - I leave her in the tank and siphon stuff out, , except while it is siphoning, I stir up the gravol which causes the "crud" to be exposed.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #382 
avraptorhal

Thanks for all the requirements in one place. I'm using it as the outline for establishing my Betta tank.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #383 
Kittiekins

What would be the levels of GH, KH, PH, NO2, and NO3 be? I can't seem to find them anywhere
Old 04-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #384 
Kupo27

I just want to thank everyone on here for all their help! Before I got my pretty boy I was looking for information on the internet regarding care and this forum was the most informative I could find! Thanks so much!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #385 
puplove52

That's not true that bettas can't live on flake food. My betta eats Tetramin Tropical flakes and he's beautiful. My betta does great with a heat lamp, one gallon bowl, Flake food, and weekly water changes. This care info is overrated.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #386 
marie0827

I just got my first fish for my daughter it is a male betta named rainbow. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 5.5 gallon tank he in with the whistler 3i filter in the tank. How often should I change the water? How often should I change the filter cartridge? When should I test the levels and what should I use to test them? What does it mean to cycle my tank and is it necessary to cycle a tank if I change the water often. I'm really confused about the cycle thing. I would also like to know how much I should feed him. I read as much as he can eat in 2 minutes 2 times a day, but his stomach gets bloated and he sometimes spits it out when I do that. I only give him 1 pellet at a time for the 2 minutes that I feed him. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer these questions. I am new to owning a fish. I am also new to this site so I hope I put this in the right spot. Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #387 
avraptorhal

I wish I could help but I'm just start on Betta myself. Hang in there, it'll get easier.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #388 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

puplove52, keeping your fish like that is the human equivalent of living in your bedroom for your entire life, turning off the furnace at night, and eating pizza every meal of everyday. They may be able to survive on flake food, but flake food (and the brand that you mentioned) is full of filler and is completely unnatural. You may think this care info is overrated but, as a breeder, a owner, and a hobbyist, I can tell you that it is not.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #389 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklette View Post
I clean my beta's 2.5 gallon tank completely every 8 days. I run all plants, her house, heater and filter and all the gravel under warm tap water. I put a splash of white vinegar in her empty tank, fill it with water and use a bottle cleaning thing to scrub the entire tank with, then rinse it 6-8 times in the shower. Then I refill the tank with decorations (same ones, except for 1 or 2 different ones), put tap water in, conditioner, and plug the heater back in. When the water reaches the high 70's, I graduaiiy add her new aquarium water to the temporary tank she is in. I add water every 15 minutes for 1 hour. My question is I bought some aquarium salts because I thought she had swim bladder. She is fine now, but should I use the salts in place of the vinegar, rinse them out, or add them to her tank?
When you do full water change your really do not need a filter. For 2.5 gall you can just do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes. Acclimate betta with 100% water changes, look like you know that. If your betta healthy you really don't need to use vinegar after every change really.
You don't need to use salt on regular basis until you need to treat him. Aquarium salt long term its doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage....and long term non-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed
Aquarium salt for injuries,wounds,ext parasites,fin damage/rot (not plant tolerant)

Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation, helps but not treat with internal parasites,pop eye,dropsy (plant tolerant)
Both have a antibacterial/fungal effect
Both can be use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall depending on what/why you treating . Always pre mix it and make sure it dissolved before you adding it . Do daily water changes if he is in the hospital tank (100%)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #390 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie0827 View Post
I just got my first fish for my daughter it is a male betta named rainbow. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 5.5 gallon tank he in with the whistler 3i filter in the tank. How often should I change the water? How often should I change the filter cartridge? When should I test the levels and what should I use to test them? What does it mean to cycle my tank and is it necessary to cycle a tank if I change the water often. I'm really confused about the cycle thing. I would also like to know how much I should feed him. I read as much as he can eat in 2 minutes 2 times a day, but his stomach gets bloated and he sometimes spits it out when I do that. I only give him 1 pellet at a time for the 2 minutes that I feed him. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer these questions. I am new to owning a fish. I am also new to this site so I hope I put this in the right spot. Thanks
5.5 gall tank with a filter needs 50% water changes weekly with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinse/swish in the old water with a water change.

Never follow directions on the food container about feeding. It so wrong i am not sure why they write those recommendations. The best recommended food is New Life Spectrum, Omega One Betta Pellets ,then Aqueon betta food. Do not buy Tetra pellets. Food that ingredients start with wheat,corn,soy bean,etc) can be constipating
New Life Spectrum are really small pellets so you can give him 3 pellets x 2 times a day. If pellets are bigger i wold give 2 twice a day. You can give him a snack freeze dried blood worms , i like Hikari kind -it enriched with vitamins.
Closed Thread