Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #81 
bloo97

Here is some extra info i found...
www.bettafacts.com is the websight, i belive...?
BETTA FISH… MALE OR FEMALE?

Female Beta Fish

Male Beta Fish

When breeding beta fish or betta fish, it is important to learn to distinguish between the mature male and female beta fish. Beta male fish have much longer fins than female beta fish.
Male and female beta fish should not be kept together except for an hour or two in a fish bowl or small aquarium, while they spawn.
When changing the water in the tank you can use ordinary tap water but make sure to let the water age for a day or so to allow the chlorine dissipate. If you cannot drink your tap water then bottle water is recommended.
Female Beta fish can be kept together in one aquarium. However, beta male fish will need to be kept in separate tanks or bowls.
You can feed your male or female beta fish floating pellet food labeled for beta fish, or freeze dried blood worms, which are mosquito larvae. When you're ready to spawn your female beta fish, feed her the following foods each morning and each evening in the order listed: BettaMin, Freeze Dried Blood Worms, some live or frozen brine shrimp, and then a few live Black Worms.
When breeding beta fish, proper care and lots of food are also very important. After proper care and feeding the female beta will swell with egg,
The proper food will also encourage the beta male fish to build a large bubble nest.
While breeding beta fish you should replace 20% of the water in the beta fish bowl or tank each day. This should stimulate the beta male fish to build bubble nests on the surface of the water.
Place your plumpest female beta fish in the tank or bowl with the beta male fish that has built the largest bubble net.
The two beta fish will usually quarrel for a while. The beta male fish may tear the female's fins, she may nip him back, and then you should see the beta fish mating.
It is important that you watch carefully to be sure that the beta male fish doesn't hurt the female too badly while the beta fish are mating.
Regardless of whether the beta fish do, or do not spawn, the female should be removed and put her back in her original aquarium or fish bowl.
The beta male fish will care for the eggs in the bubble nest. You will see him taking the eggs into his mouth where he cleans them with special natural chemicals in his mouth. Two days after spawning the chemicals in his mouth change and dissolve the outer layer of the eggs to release the fry.
It is very difficult to raise the beta fry in an aquarium or a bowl. We recommend placing the beta fry in a pond. The water temperature has to be 68 degrees F. or warmer. The pond was often 70 degrees F. and warmer during the summer..
MALE FEMALE

CARE
To take care of beta fish make sure to feed your Beta Fish once a day.
Beta Fish can eat live or frozen dried brine shrimp or blood worms. For beta food
To take care of beta fish make sure to clean your Beta Fish bowl to tank bowl once a week if it has no filtration. Keep around a 2 1/2 gallon plastic water jug to pretreat the water.
It is a good idea to add some water conditioner. Water conditioners such as the Aqua pharmaceutical stress conditioner can help neutralize chlorine.
Others can help neutralize ammonia as well as adjust and maintain the pH level in your Beta tank. This will ensure the water quality and reduce the stress on your Beta fish or Betta fish.
To take care of beta fish make sure to keep the top of your Beta Fish bowl or tank covered. Beta Fish are jumpers and have been known to be found on the floor the next morning.
To take care of beta fish plant a live plant in the Beta Fish bowl or tank. To take care of beta fish make sure you do not place your Beta fish bowl or tank in direct sunlight, or near a cold vent or draft or in a cold room. Beta Fish need warn temperatures from 75 to 85 degrees F.
To take care of beta fish remember to make any water condition changes gradually.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #82 
bloo97

FEEDING
Beta fish are not big eaters but can be feed once or twice a day. They can be fed floating flake food, freeze dried blood worms, live black worms, or frozen brine shrimp. for beta food.
It is important not to feed your Beta fish or Betta Fish to much live food as it has been known to cause problems.
A good, solid, frozen food or fish pellet with the occasional live treat is a sure way to go. We usually recommend feeding Beta fish 1 or 2 pellets each time.
See our recommended Beta Pellets .
If you notice the water in the tank is becoming cloudy then you are likely overfeeding your Beta fish.
For this you can use rich tropical flakes fish food when feeding Beta fish, or you can to purchase the “newly available” beta fish food.
It is important to note when feeding Beta fish or Betta fish that if you are using a tank without a filtration system over feeding your fish will require more water changes as the uneaten food will quickly accumulate on the bottom of the bowl or tank.

BETA FRIENDS
Beta fish, Betta fish or Siamese fighting fish can also be kept with other fish. This fact is often overlooked do to the fighting spirit of the Beta. It is recommended that the other fish be smaller in size then the beta fish. Friends for the beta include:

platies,swordtailscory catsneon tetrascardinal tetraswhite cloud mountain minnowzebra danioscherry barbsrasborasangelfishYou can even add one or two female to a beta male fish since it is the males with the predominately aggressive attitude.
PLANTS
Beta Fish and Plants

I would also recommend adding plants to your bowl or tank. Do not use any plants except natural water plants that are not toxic to the fish. Ensure the plants do not have any sharp tips on them. Artifical plants such as the ludwigia plant are perfect for Beta fish aquariums.
The best thing for you and your fish would be to get real live plants. Real ones are much more beautiful and help balance the water condition. Plants such as are great aquarium companions for your Beta fish. The best part is that they are not sharp at all and are very inexpensive, you may buy real plants at any pet store.
CHANGING WATER
When changing the water in the tank you can use ordinary tap water but make sure to let the water age for a day or so to allow the chlorine dissipate. If you cannot drink your tap water then bottle water is recommended.
It is a good idea to add some water conditioner. Water conditioners such as the Aqua pharmaceutical stress conditioner can help neutralize chlorine. Others can help neutralize ammonia as well as adjust and maintain the pH level in your Beta tank. This will ensure the water quality and reduce the stress on your Beta fish or Betta fish.
It is also a good idea to let the Beta fish or Betta Fish remain inside the tank while the water is being changed. You can do this by dipping off a quarter of the water every day until it is gone and can be refilled. Pour the water slowly and ensure the water you add to the beta's bowl or tank is of the same temperature as the water removed. (usually room temp).
New Tanks and Beta Fish

New Tanks' often have a Break-in Period.
When you decorate your new tank and add the water the filter is not ready for a full tank of fish yet. The filter is running and moving the water and cleaning out dirt.
An aquarium filter such as the will remove the larger visible stuff and will also remove the dissolved fish waste that turns into ammonia in the water. However, in order for your fish to remain healthy special bacteria must grow in the filter system and on the particles of gravel in the bottom of your tank. This process occurs even on a limited scale in little fish bowls that have no filter in them.
It is best to start off with one or two other fish in a tank for the first 6-8 weeks. The needed bacteria cannot grow without fish in the tank.
Avoid changing the filter pads during break-in. This removes the bacterial colonies that are essential to a balanced aquarium. You can rinse the filter pad out in a container of aquarium water. This will preserve most of the bacteria colonies while still allowing your filter to flow freely.
After about 6-8 weeks you can keep the other fish and add your Beta, or remove them first. This process will undoubtedly help your Beta fish have a longer, healthier, and happier life. Most Betas can llive for 2 to 3 years in a prpperly cared for fish bowl or tank.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #83 
bloo97

Q & A
Q: How can I tell the difference between male and female beta fish?A: The male beta is the one with longer flowing fins which he flares in thepresence of most other fish. The male also has a longer and larger overall bodyThe female is usually smaller in size then the male and much less aggressive.As well, all female beta fish have a small white dot on their stomach directlybehind their ventral fins, or the shorter fins on their stomachs. Q: What temperature should I keep my beta fish's water?A: A good mean temperature for beta fish seems to be 78 degrees F. However anything in the range of 75-85 degrees should be fine.Q: How often does my beta fish water need changing?A: Anything smaller then a one gallon tank should be changed twice a week.Anything larger should be changed every week to week and a half. If you are using a filer then change the entire water every 3-4 weeks.Q: How much space does a beta fish need?A: A single beta fish, alone in a tank will need a recommended half-gallon tank.Q: What should I do if my beta won't eat?A: When you first buy a beta fish it is normal for them not to eat. After a few days theyshould settle down and begin eating. often when the beta does eat he will take the food then spit if out. This is often done to soften up the food. If the beta is still not eating thentry crushing the pellets into smaller pieces, finally try different foods. Your beta will eventually eat one kind. Q: What should I feed my beta fish?A: BettaMin Floating Flake Foodand Delecta Freeze Dried Blood Worms are available in most pet stores and Wal-Mart Stores. We alsofeed the fish in our fish bowls a few live Black Worms three days a week andoccasionally some live or frozen brine shrimp. A little bit of live food isvery good, but too much seems to cause problems. this combined with a fewBlack Worms every second or third day is never a bad idea. Q: How long do beta fish live?A: Beta fish can live for 2 to 3 years in a tank or fish bowl. for Our Selection of Beta fish Bowls and Tanks.Q: What is the difference in a beta fish and Siamese fighting fish?A: There is no difference, they are generally interchangeable. However,Siamese fighting fish usually refers to the male beta fish. Q: How much does a beta fish cost?A: Beta fish can range in price anywhere form $1.99 to over $1000 dependingOn the rarity of the colors and tail. Q: What colors are Beta Fish?A: Beta fish come in many colors and variations including but not limited toWhite, yellow, orange, red, green, royal blue, steel blue, black, pastel, and Cellophane. Q: What should I look for when buying a beta fish?A: A healthy beta fish has regularly shaped fins, a straight spine, no spots, Tears in the fins, or smooth scales. With a beta fish, bigger is not necessarily Better. Click Here for our selection of Beta FishQ: Why does my beta flare his fins and gills?A: Male beta fish will flare in order to intimidate other fish especially when they feel threatened. It is not uncommon for beta fish to do this when shown their own reflections.ANATOMY PICS

Sorry about the length...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #84 
bloo97

Sorry about the typo problems...
It was a Word document.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #85 
bloo97

Whew...
That is alot!!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #86 
veronicamarae

I wish I would have known this before I got three Betta's. One of my females is now missing a fin (I call her nemo) with any luck it will grow back.

I guess I'm going to the pet store tomorrow to get another tank with a heater. Will my two females be okay together in a 2 gallon tank?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #87 
Betta Slave

No, Two females will fight. You need to get 3 or more females (and in a two gallon tank I think would be overstocking.) Move up to a five or ten gallon for three or more females if you can.
Good luck with them, hope Nemo gets better.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #88 
veronicamarae

Thanks Betta Slave,

I don't know what I'm going to do. The pet store sucks! She said she had tons of betta's and she knew a lot about them. I guess that wasn't true.

Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #89 
Betta Slave

No problem, glad I could help.
I generally don't listen to pet stores, the employees I come across have no idea what they're talking about. It bugs me :(
When you can, post pics of your bettas, we'd love to see them!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #90 
veronicamarae

Now that my male betta is alone he looks completely deflated. I'll upload pics as soon as I can.
Closed Thread