Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #1 
ConnieW

Question Scum on surface, air stone for bubbles?

There is a slight scum on the top of the tank water. This tank is 3 weeks old. Doing all the water tests and weekly PWC. It is a 5.5 gallon tank with one Betta. Water temp is 76 to 78. Planning on getting a heater soon to bump that up to 80. Water tests yesterday were Ammonia at .5, Nitrites at .5, Nitrates 10 and PH 7.8. The tank is cycling.

The filter is a Tetra 10, baffled using a cut water bottle. The scrum is mostly at the end of the tank farthest from the filter. (No movement at the surface of the water) Don't know what the scum is or what is causing it. I can only see it looking up from under the surface. Looking down on top of the water I can't see this scum.

My question is what might this scum be and is it OK or should I try to get rid of it? Also should I add a small air stone in this tank for some aeration to get some movement at the surface to avoid this scum? Do bettas do ok with air stones in the tank? Or maybe remove the baffle on the filter or both?? I don't want to cause too much movement in the water for him, but don't like this scum on the water.

Otherwise our Betta, Finley, is doing fine. Swims around a lot, eats well, flares at his reflection, swims though his floating log, chases my finger moving on the outside of the tank, bites my finger tip at the surface of the water, builds his bubble nests...he is a great little betta!

Thanks for any help on this. I appreciate the time you all put in here to help!
Connie
ConnieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

That is pretty typical of any still water. I never found it a problem, just gross. Use a cup or ladle to scoop it out, or paper towel to "lift" it off.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 
Kalari32

I used to get this as well in my 5 gallon tank. I got a bubble stone, and just had it right below the water surface, and I never got the film again. My betta doesnt care about the water movement, but i do have the bubble stone just under the water surface so it keeps water movement, but not too much water current. Try this, and the film should go away (:
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 
ConnieW

Ok, thanks, great idea!
ConnieW is offline   Reply With Quote