Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

If you've accidentally introduced a male to your sorority how did you notice?

I've written a few times about my questionable female veiltail. I also have a likely sister. While I feel pretty her sister Daphne is a girl I am now comtemplating the awful thought of what if they both are males or more of them are? They all are from the same store. Daphne and Chablis are about the same size both have white spots in the middle but no ovipositor.I don't see any signs of beards.

I looked at a male at the store that is likely a brother since he looks identical to Chablis he has no white dot and is thinner.

What cautions should I follow or what should I look for? All are in quarantine but I want to start up my tank in few weeks.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I think the most obvious sign is extreme aggression. Some females can be very aggressive but males are usually more so. Some people start to notice as they grow the shape of the body/anal fin or pelvic fins. Males usually have thinner bodies, more pointed anal fins, and wider pelvic fins. But sometimes it's hard to tell, especially if you're inexperienced with sexing bettas. You might also notice everyone but one (the male) get eggy and find a bubble nest? But females may also build bubble nests.

But I think the hardest part is sexing them at a young age. As they get older, it should be pretty obvious.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

My male was never overtly aggressive. Not even when he reached maturity. The only fish he was particularly aggressive to were blue coloured females.

I had long suspected my young 'female' was in fact a male. However, it wasn't until he matured and his form changed that I could confirm it.

Here is what he looked like when he was fully mature. He had a less rounded body than my females. Not only that, but his ventrals were thicker, his beard more pronounced and his anal fin more sharply angled.

This was what he looked like when he was still young (he is the blue and white marble)

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

These fish are definitely fat but their coloring does not allow you to notice an egg spot. Chablis keeps getting flared at by males but the Chablis does not flare back.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Have you got any pictures?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

All my females now are light colored and their egg spots 'blend in' but are noticeable if you look closely. They also protrude slightly so I can see them from the side if they move their dang pelvic fins outta the way, lol.

Sometimes I have a mini panic attack when I take a short look at them and think their egg spots have disappeared, lol. But they are there if I'm patient and watch closely. I can't remember if they were less noticeable when they were young.

There are also some chill males that don't really flare much.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

Here are some but not all the purple one is the one they are flaring at most I think are female

IMG]http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php?albumid=5986&pictureid=59009[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

The purple one does not maintain "her" color sometime she gets brownish orange.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

Here's more (They are in gallon quarantine with regular water changes):

Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 
Canis

The red one kind of looks like a male plakat to me. I could be completely wrong though XD
Canis is online now   Reply With Quote