Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #1 
Haeclark

question and confermation about water possibilities

read in the info thread of care tips for betta's...wanted to confirm:
Quote:
If you find you have high ammonia, nitrite, and/or nitrate in your tap water, and canít find a good source of bottled water, then those other options should be considered. (other options include using a bucket, filter, and filter media to clean the water before using it in the betta tank)
dose this mean you can use a water filter cleaner, such as Brita, to "clean the water before using it in the betta tank"?
And double checking to make sure I read that using distilled water is in fact bad for Bettas since it stripes the important minerals, etc. ?

I have pretty high pH myself [8.5] and if I dont make sure to change their water weekly when need to...my fish show signs of fin rot soon after.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #2 
rugie
Banned

yo! Idealy you would want to clean your water of heavy metals, nitrogen compounds, chlorine, chloromine, toxins & some other nasties. distilled & ro water removesjust about every thing. you can buy a product called RO Right, it replaces the desired minerals from that purified water so that it becomes good wholesom water. the additive is low in price and most lfs carry it.
rugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #3 
bxtorr19

You can use a Brita and add a water conditioner such as Betta Conditioner. You can buy regular bottled water sure as Poand spring or any brand that is labled natural spring water. Or if you are indenpendently wealthy you can buy a produce called Betta water that retails for 5 dollars a 32 once bottle. Personally I brita my tap water and leave it out over night with betta conditoner.
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #4 
onefish2fish

what rugie is saying is to add the RO right, which replenishes desired minerals
i believe just purified water is harmful to fish.

does your tap show signs of amnonia, nitrite or nitrate? is it possible to post these readings?
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #5 
Haeclark

Quote:
what rugie is saying is to add the RO right, which replenishes desired minerals
i believe just purified water is harmful to fish.
so JUST purified water harmful, not purified mixed with tap, such as water filtered with a Britta filter, or mixing treated water with spring water?

Normally I just only use tap water treated with Jungles start right conditioner. However, the pH is very high, a full point over Betta's max [8.5]. They seem to do fine for awhile, then fin rot starts to show. Ill treat them, it will go away, however, not fully as within a week or two, back again.
I had been doing one weekly flush of 25-40% every week on sat. [prep water Friday], however, mid Dec I increased it to at least 50% water flush, same time a week thinking I wasn't changing enough water.
I have 2 tank setups, one 10 gal where my Betta's live. The other is a larger community tank housed with mostly guppies, and one Chinese algae eater. Was told its a 15 gal, but compared to the 10gal [setup next to it] seems to be more a 20gal.
Both tanks use power filters
tested water both myself and also brought some water to a fish person / shop to double check my numbers, as well as get some advice. He said at the time there were VERY small indications of ammonia, but so small it wouldn't effect their health. The biggest one that was off charts was just the pH at 8.5
just re-checked my Betta tank today[didn't bother with larger tank as today is the flush day for it]
when I added 2.5 gal of spring water to my treated tap water, it brought my pH it a nice 7.6 :D
Nitrate [NO3] is roughly at 5.0 [light orange-yellow]
Nitrite[NO2] is at a nice sky/baby blue 0
Ammonia [NH3/NH4] slightly higher then 0 [not happy face yellow, but also not distinctly neon green], wouldn't say .25, as that'd be too green for match, more about .10 or so. [didn't match the 0 color swatch, but also didn't match any of the green ones either] This matches what the shop person was saying, as he too said there were very small traces of ammonia, but not enough to harm then or cause the rot that's been relapsing.
I also have test strips to show the water hardness etc, but don't like to use them if I don't have to.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heard that the test strips are no good. I think most people use the API master test kit. I think its a liquid test kit.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #7 
Haeclark

ya that's why I dont use them. The API is what I have...just the one that test the 4 primary one [[NO2, NO3, NH3/NH4 + pH high range & pH low range]
Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

My mistake. I thought you were using them. I didn't read the last line of your post, where you said you don't use them. Sorry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #9 
Haeclark

xD no prob