Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #31 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's probably not so much the tank size but if there are big open spaces, they don't like those.

Also you can let him see sunlight for a while, I know that helps sometimes. Kind of like when you get sick and stay in and then you go out for the first time after your cured and it's a nice warm, sunny day. It just feels good I wouldn't put him in direct sunlight but indirect will be just fine and you can keep a light off him most of the day to help.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #32 
Tamsin

He seems a lot happier now. He was moved into a 2gallon KK and the past few days I've seen him come up for food a number of times and also just generally swimming around.
He is super skinny, I wasn't able to get him to eat for those first 2 weeks I had him, but now he seems more alert so hopefully he'll fatten up some.
I had him in the jar while I was setting up the KK, and noticed he seems to have trouble swimming. It's almost like the back half of his spine is bent... or something. It could be because he is so malnourished, but I'm worried that he's managed to get himself caught somewhere (like between the heater and the glass) and struggled, hurting his spine. I'll take a video of him tonight if I can and hopefully someone can help.
Tamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

not using his back half is most likely due to being malnurished as well as spending a lot of time in a cup. It's like becoming bedridden, after that you have to relearn how to use your legs again and that's basically what he's trying to do except learn how to use his fins. it's going to take some time for sure till he's out and about swimming well.

I suggest feeding him twice daily if you haven't been doing so, this will make it easier to fatten him up. Don't feed him a lot but half in the morning and half at night so that way he doesn't have to go a full 24 hours without food and he'll regain strength faster
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #34 
Tamsin

*phew* I was worried it was something much worse. I don't mind how long it takes, as long as he can overcome it :) It was probably made a lot worse being in the 5gal - he spent almost the entire 2 weeks behind the filter, barely moving.
I feel really bad for not moving him sooner, I thought that by giving him a nice tank and clean water whatever was wrong would right itself given time... turns out it made him worse.

I've been feeding him as often as I can, but only a few pellets end up eaten each day. They refuse to sink so I'm going to try the food I feed Tauro (which does sink) so he doesn't have to go all the way to the surface to get food.. I tried offering him bloodworms, dangled it right in front of his nose, but he just stared at it until it swam away (now it's living in his gravel).

Thankyou for helping :)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #35 
Viva

How is he doing?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #36 
Tamsin

No change... He hasn't shown interest in food since the first day I moved him to the smaller tank. He still doesn't move around much, I only notice him change positions maybe once every other day. I haven't seen him come to the surface in a number of days.
Physically he looks emaciated but nothing else looks off. He is a dull yellow still, with dark/grey/brown mottling (just like the first pics I posted). Those red spots are still there, I was wrong when i said they were gone, they've just gotten a lot smaller and harder to see.
I don't know what else to do :/
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #37 
mushumouse

poor guy. :( have you tried asking about him in the diseases forum? usually clean water and some aquarium salt does clear up finrot, but i think there are some medications you can try too when that doesn't work. also, not sure if you've heard this already, but many people recommend soaking the pellets in garlic juice to try and tempt a betta that won't eat.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #38 
Tamsin

I haven't asked in diseases... I'll try that.
Yeah the fish guy at City Farmers pointed me to some finrot medication, but he said he didn't think it was finrot seeing as his fins haven't actually changed at all.
I was wondering if I should try salt.. I've never used it before so I don't really know what to do or how to do it. There's 2 types of salt right? I have 2 different types in my "medicine kit" but I've never had to use them.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #39 
mushumouse

yep, i'm guessing what you have there are epsom salt and aquarium salt- aq salt is usually used for external issues like infections, and epsom for internal problems like bloating or constipation. i believe the recommended dose is usually 1-3 teaspoons per gallon of water, predissolved, starting at one and maybe adding more later on if it doesn't seem to work after a few days. with aquarium salt, you can continue to use it for about two weeks if it's necessary but if you want to use it after that you have to give the fish a resting period of a few days first because processing the salt in the water makes its kidneys work harder. but yeah, i would recommend posting in diseases about it, with pictures if you can- there's a sticky at the top of the forum with a list of questions to fill out that can help pinpoint if it's really finrot & if there's anything else going on that can be adjusted to help. good luck!
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #40 
Tamsin

Awesome news!! Leon's completely turned around. The sickly, lethargic fish cowering in the furthest corner refusing food is no more. Now I have an active, spunky little guy who is actually begging for food constantly :D
Somehow I didn't even notice how ragged his fins had gotten compared to when I brought him home until last week. So I've been treating him for fin rot like I should have done in the first place. The difference it made was crazy, within 10minutes of putting the stuff in the water he was moving around and actually started eating, elbeit only by sluggishly pecking fallen pellets off the floor.. but I was so happy I sat and watched him eat every last pellet before I ran around the house waving my arms and yelling hurrah!
Now, after 4 days of his treatment he is constantly swimming up and down the tank and actually eats his food *before* it reaches the bottom.
This little guy is so great, after all my block-headedness and all the times I thought he wasn't going to be there when I got home from work he's managed to come through completely and surprise us all :) Now all that's left is to finish his treatment and watch his beautiful fins grow back.
Hooray!!