Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #41 
Kiara1125

Awesome news! That's fantastic! I hope you can get some pics in of the cutie!
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #42 
Viva

Great to hear, I hope he heals up nicely! Good appetite means a healthy fishy :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #43 
Tamsin

He finished his finrot treatment a few days ago and improved drastically, but he's lost most of his fins and a lot of areas are still blackened... is this normal? I'm not sure if that means I should do another round of treatment or if I just have to wait for the black to go away.
He's going to lose his entire anal fin, the whole base of it is grey. His ventrals have been reduced to stubs and he only has fragments of his dorsal. His tail isn't as bad as the others but has lost quite a bit of length. (I haven't posted pictures yet because of how ragged he looks...)
Tamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #44 
Viva

I would post pictures...it could be something else. If entire parts of his fins are still turning grey it could be another, more serious illness.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #45 
Tamsin

Ill get some photos tonight :/
But doesn't that illness kill within days of the black patches showing? His fins have been slowly getting more grey over more than a week rather than a few days.
I'm hoping its just finrot..
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #46 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah the Graphite Disease would effect him within hours and within a day he'd be dead. So probably just fin rot or perhaps something like columnaris if it's more of a film than the actual fin. I'd definitely have to see pics though.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #47 
Tamsin

I've been going through the thread about the 'mystery illness' (I assume that's what you were referring to Viva?) and i really don't think he has it.
The patching on his fins is not the slate-grey colour that seems to be the sign of the illness. His patches are more of a mottled silvery grey. In the mystery illness thread the fish have all passed within 72 hours of the patches showing up, but I first noticed the colour on his fins a few days before I moved him into the KK (which would be about 2 weeks ago). Since then his fins have been slowly tearing up and the patches spreading, much as I assume finrot works?
The fish in the thread all seemed to act sick very quickly after the grey patches appeared, but Leon has only been acting better and better every day.
I'll be sure to post pictures tonight but I do think it's just fin rot that's gotten so severe because I failed to realise & treat him sooner.

EDIT
re: above comment - I don't think it's a film.. just the fin turning grey.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #48 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could very well be a case of marbling as well then
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #49 
Viva

I wasn't necessarily referring to the "mystery disease" which I thought was proven to be a strain of tuberculosis...I was thinking columnaris or some other disease that could be the root cause of his fin loss. If the AQ salt and daily water changes isn't working for him than it's probably time to start some antibiotics.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #50 
Tamsin

Ah, OK.
I took some photos last night night but forgot to upload them (sorry!). I'll remind myself when i get home from work today.

Viva - sorry I just assumed the mystery disease from what you said.
I never used the AQ salt. When i realised it looked like fin rot I bought fin rot medication. I forget the brand name but it's 1/2tsp per day for 7 days and smells sort of like tea tree oil. I was warned by my fish guy it's deadly if overdosed (that's why I was asking if now that the treatment is finished the grey patches should be gone - I'm wondering if i should and if it's safe to treat a second round). I'll have a look at the bottle when I get home and see what the name was.

Last edited by Tamsin; 08-02-2013 at 03:31 AM.