Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #1 
Wynn

Fungal sickk betta

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80(lowering it to 76 for fungus)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes, bellets and brime shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day a fast once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once every 2-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 % 100% twice monthly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top fin conditioner(don't have prime yet)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH:8.2
Hardness: uknown
Alkalinity: unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White Patch on gills(chin)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning when I did a water change(possible could have been I would say 2 days ago though, I look close at him a lot but it was hard to spot)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, conservitive treatment this morning.(stress coat and salt)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just fin bitting
How old is your fish (approximately)? (with us about 2 months)

My main question is with a 10 gallon tank is 100% daily water change as described in the disease guide on here needed, or is 50% daily or once every other day acceptible?

Also does a fungal infection + his fin bitting put him at increased risk for anything?

Oh sorry I couldn't get a picture it is really hard to get him to pose plus (I barely could notice it. I was only certian by comparing it to old pictures of him.)

Thank you for all advice.
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80(lowering it to 76 for fungus)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes, bellets and brime shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day a fast once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once every 2-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 % 100% twice monthly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top fin conditioner(don't have prime yet)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH:8.2
Hardness: uknown
Alkalinity: unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White Patch on gills(chin)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning when I did a water change(possible could have been I would say 2 days ago though, I look close at him a lot but it was hard to spot)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, conservitive treatment this morning.(stress coat and salt)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just fin bitting
How old is your fish (approximately)? (with us about 2 months)

My main question is with a 10 gallon tank is 100% daily water change as described in the disease guide on here needed, or is 50% daily or once every other day acceptible?
In a filtered tank a 100% is not needed for maintenance or for treating most illnesses. 50% daily or every other day is fine. Make sure you are using a good water conditioner in any new water.
Also does a fungal infection + his fin bitting put him at increased risk for anything?
Are you sure he has something fungal? Are the white patches fuzzy? Are you sure its not his coloring? They tend to change colors especially in hte first few weeks. Tail biting could put him at a higher risk for fin rot but if you do the proper maitenance while the tank is cycling & once its done he should be fine.
Oh sorry I couldn't get a picture it is really hard to get him to pose plus (I barely could notice it. I was only certian by comparing it to old pictures of him.)

Thank you for all advice.

shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 
Wynn

Good point, I noticed this while he was in a cup while doing usual twice montly 100% water change. I put him back in his tank and can't se it nearly as well. Maybe I was mistake, any harm in the salt/stress coat for a few days just incase?
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

No harm at all. Just keep an eye on him & if there's any change let us know.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fin bitter, fungus, sick