Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1 
Flapmon

Let me introduce my divided 16g fish tank (Pic heavy)

We spent months trying to figure out a way to have our fish somewhere comfortable and at some point it was decided we get a 16 gal and divide it into 6 but somewhere along the lines of that it seemed unfair since they'd have such a small space to live in and soon we bought a separate ... Smaller tank (6 gallons) for the two plakats and the 16 g was kept for the four bigger tails.

The next hurdle was what were we going to use to separate them, we had loads of suggestions from people eg plastic canvas, glass with separate filters as well as heaters ... Mesh around a frame and finally perspex which is what we ended up choosing for this project. It wasn't the cheapest alternative but seemed the safest.

We began to cycle three filters in the smaller tank just over 3 weeks ago to get it over and done with, we opted for the fishless cycle using fish food and it ended up working quite quickly apart from a few mishaps, one being the food which clumped together and formed a slime which slowed us down since we had to siphon it, clean the rocks, filters (in old water) and remove the stuff completely (apart from the broken down bits).

and so yesterday it was built ... We ended up making it so the dividers were securely kept in place with perspex struts. It was also made so that the filter and heater had separate compartments with large flow holes.

This is the back;

Actual dividers (before plastic protective sheet was ripped off)

All slotted together;

Top view:

Decorated:

The decorating isn't completely finished yet with the need for live plants as well as silk plants and ornaments, we also want to completely remove the plastic plants.

The filter was added in as a last minute decision since we were going to wait till it was cycled but after testing it, it finally came up zero ammonia reading, nitrites were still fairly high but slowly dropping and finally our first reading of nitrate !! So we felt it was safer than them living in unfiltered 1 gallon bowls which showed up as 0.5 ammonia (I felt bad).

Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 
Flapmon

And finally ~ photos of le fish!
(Two are missing, they are being quarantined but they should be in this tank.)

King- CT.

Elliott- HMEEPK

Amethyst- PK

Elliott- HMEEPK

Duke - VT

Amethyst - PK

Duke VT-

King- CT

Last edited by Flapmon; 06-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

That is really spiffy; thanks for sharing. I really like the slotted back. Does that mean the dividers are removable?
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #4 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
That is really spiffy; thanks for sharing. I really like the slotted back. Does that mean the dividers are removable?
Yes, they're removable, they just won't move with the perspex struts in place. :P
Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Thanks. I'm getting opaque removable dividers with my not-here-yet 20 long. Gives me more options for set-up.

BTW, I love those two photos of Elliott. In his previous life I'll bet he photo bombed.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Looks really great! I bet your fish are much happier.

If you haven't already, I would highly suggest removing the metal wire from the leaf hammocks.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Thanks. I'm getting opaque removable dividers with my not-here-yet 20 long. Gives me more options for set-up.

BTW, I love those two photos of Elliott. In his previous life I'll bet he photo bombed.
He never stays still in his temporary home, he's getting moved to the 6 gal when we get it set up. :P

The funny thing is? There's the tiniest gap in between Duke and Elliott like 1mm and Duke is determined to tease Elliott forever, so he's always flaring and freaking out and Duke doesn't even care. Haha..

We looked at gluing them in but never really liked it, or suction caps .. but that worried us with the gaps it'd have.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #8 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Looks really great! I bet your fish are much happier.

If you haven't already, I would highly suggest removing the metal wire from the leaf hammocks.
They are! Except my girl enjoys her small spaces so she's still getting used to it. There's no wire in the hammocks, just hard plastic down the middle.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The wire is inside the plastic :)
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The wire is inside the plastic :)
They barely use them at this point, didn't even know it was wire. << Why do you get it out?