Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #1 
Ashashi

Unhappy Figured out why Raphael hasn't been getting better...

I think he has internal parasites.

A while ago his fins/rays were shrinking but there were no dark edges or fuzzy patches. Either way I treated him for fin rot and it seemed to stop a little bit.

But ever since he hadn't recovered entirely and never got the cute little angry attitude he had before and tonight after reading stuff here and in other forums I figured out why:

Parasites. Internal parasites.

He eats almost every day but looks thin, his last stool looked white/transluscent and stringy and wouldn't fall unless he flashed it off.

He's had swim bladder issues on and off which I treated with epsom salt. Last time it worked faster because he had a smaller tank but now its taking some time to heal.

I read that internal parasites can cause their fins to deteriorate just due to lack of nutrition, the white and stringy stool and the chronic swim bladder.

Poor baby, I've been treating him for fin rot and using maracide in case of any fungus might've been causing his lack of recovery.

I read somewhere that a quarantine tank and API General Cure/ Tetra Parasite Guard were good meds to use for this, getting some tomorrow.

Any advice on treating a whole 10 gal tank? He shares one with his buddy Leo but leo has shown absolutely no signs of infestation or illness. He's very perky and very flarey but I want to be safe...

Poor Raph :<

Here's a compare and contrast picture: Left - a couple months ago when i bought him, Right - His current state

http://ashashi-corner.tumblr.com/pri...0c8naBI1r3z9cz

Ashashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #2 
mybabyjets

when you say share with leo, is there a divivder? and is leo a betta? i dont really have any ideas..but i hope he gets better, he looked so "dead" in the photo...im sorry
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #3 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
when you say share with leo, is there a divivder? and is leo a betta? i dont really have any ideas..but i hope he gets better, he looked so "dead" in the photo...im sorry
Yes there is a divider. Before they shared a 10 gal they had individual tanks (Leo - 2.5g and raph- 1.5g) right next to eachother, so theyre familiar with one another.

And Leo is indeed a betta. The somewhat ironic part of all this is that Leo was the weak one originally. Raph was the big, strong flarer.

I'm hoping after some time in a small QT cup and the parasite treatment with the epsom salt he'll start to finally look like his old self again...

:(
Old 06-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 
Ashashi

UPDATE:

I woke up this morning to a perkier Raphael who's belly had returned to normal thanks to the epsom salt treatment.

He's still in his little QT cup and I gave him several drops of tank water with a Tetra Parasite Guard Tablet fully dissolved in it.

Each tab treats 10 gals and his little cup is barely 4-5 quarts. So I've been giving him a few drops here and there. Done for the day though. Will give him some more tomorrow and a single pellet to eat once I come home from class.

He's swimming around more and with how warm my room is I hope he won't get too cold. I'm not sure how fast the medicine with the salt will work, but here's hoping he's completely cured soon!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can float his cup in the 10 gallon to keep warm for starters.

And you could have used Epsom salt also to treat the internal parasites but that's fine And you should continue to feed him his regular feeding schedule, he won't poop if he doesn't eat! ^_^

How much epsom were you putting into the tank and were you dissolving it first?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #6 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You can float his cup in the 10 gallon to keep warm for starters.

And you could have used Epsom salt also to treat the internal parasites but that's fine And you should continue to feed him his regular feeding schedule, he won't poop if he doesn't eat! ^_^

How much epsom were you putting into the tank and were you dissolving it first?
I was putting in small amounts, about a few teaspoons (I was using my fingers to pick up the salt, not the palms of my hands) and dissolving it in a cup of tank water before putting it in.

Then I decided to just isolate Raph in a QT cup and give him more concentrated doses using the same method from above :)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can keep a therapeutic dosage in the tank for Swim Bladder issues at .25 teaspoons per gallon. Whenever you're dosing anything you really need to measure it out, there could be a point that you're overdosing it.

To treat internal parasites with Epsom salt you can start with 1 teaspoon per gallon, so in a 10 gallon it would be 10 teaspoons. Dissolve in the cup with tank water as per usual and then slowly add over an hour to the tank. After the first day you can put it up to 2 teaspoons per gallon if you feel inclined to do so.

But I wouldn't suggest doing both salt treatment and medication treatment. The thing with meds is that you want to use as little as possible, so one medication at a time if possible. It's less stressful for them and usually puts out better results.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #8 
Ashashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You can keep a therapeutic dosage in the tank for Swim Bladder issues at .25 teaspoons per gallon. Whenever you're dosing anything you really need to measure it out, there could be a point that you're overdosing it.

To treat internal parasites with Epsom salt you can start with 1 teaspoon per gallon, so in a 10 gallon it would be 10 teaspoons. Dissolve in the cup with tank water as per usual and then slowly add over an hour to the tank. After the first day you can put it up to 2 teaspoons per gallon if you feel inclined to do so.

But I wouldn't suggest doing both salt treatment and medication treatment. The thing with meds is that you want to use as little as possible, so one medication at a time if possible. It's less stressful for them and usually puts out better results.
So choose one or the other rather than both so it won't stress him out/harm him. I'll make sure to properly measure the salt next time but he seems to be perking up even more now.

Although it was only for a moment, he flared! He hasn't flared at me or anything, even Leo for almost a month now! :)

Thank you for your help <3 Ill keep updates posted here about him!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! Yeah flaring is generally a good sign, not completely healed up but he's on his way!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

It's great that he's flared! :) Now he's getting some exercise :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, parasites, quarantine