Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 
Aleyshia

Newbbie needing advice

Hi I'm new to bettas, I haven't got one yet but I'm interested in getting one. I lost my two guppies recently (no illness just age) and was told bettas are a good fish. I have a 35litre tank with a light and filter and was wondering if that big enough and what else I should get and consider, I know I need to get a heater also I want to switch to sand would that be alright?
Aleyshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
Betta Bonnie

thinking of getting a Betta

Betta's are great little fish. That tank would be good. I have 6, each in their own 2.5 gallon tanks. I started with gravel in mine, but removed it as I like the bare bottoms. I san suck up waist and uneaten food with a turkey baster easily that way. I have heard of people using sand without problems, though. They definitely need heaters, water should be kept between 78 to 84 degrees. I do 50% water changes every 2 to 3 days. Betta's are very friendly and beautiful, if you deside on one, you,ll never regret it. Here is one of my pretty boys.
Attached Images

Betta Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #3 
futurevet

Good job asking questions before getting your betta! I will answer some of them but i am not an expert, this is just advice that i have followed.
35 liters is almost 10 gallons, so yes that is great for your betta! What kind of filter do you have? I have heard that some kinds have too strong on water flow and can suck up and tear bettas fins. So I think the best kind is a sponge filter. They also like plants, tall ones are good so they can rest near the surface. I am actually thinking about switching to sand, because I heard that it is easy to use and prettier. :)
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 
JellOh

That tank is perfectly fine. As said before, you'll need a heater and you should get a thermometer. Some other things have you should have from owning guppies but I'll list just to make sure: liquid test kit, water conditioner (Prime is a good one), hides holes, silk or live plants, and a siphon. Aquarium salt and epsome salt are also good things to have on hand in case your betta gets sick. Sand is fine to use, but you have to use a siphon during cleanings to clean it up and 100% water changes are virtual impossible (although you probably won't be needing them in your tank). Make sure you read all the stickys before getting your fish. Good luck, and you won't regret it :D
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #5 
Aleyshia

Thanks for your responses. The filter type I have is tetratec which I think is a sponge filter with adjustable flow and I'm planning to get a heater and some tall silk plants although I have a Anubis plant on a rock. The test kit and conditioner I have aswell as a siphon. The salts I will try to find but I've never had much luck in finding it. Anything else?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #6 
Betta Bonnie

Caves

Mine each have a cave of some sort, because thy love to have a hiding place. Mine also sleep in them at night.
Betta Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #7 
futurevet

You can get epsom salt at stores like Fred Meyer and Walmart. And you should find aquarium salt at any fish store! :)

I agree with JellOh, check out all the sticky's and know as much information about bettas as possible! Bettas are great pets
Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #8 
Aleyshia

Sorry new to the website what and where are the sticky's
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #9 
futurevet

The stickys are the threads at the top of each category. It says sticky in the title. They basically are just really good threads about common problems or questions. So they are helpful for a quick answer or learning more about bettas.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #10 
Aleyshia

Ok thanks I will check them out.

Tags
newbbie, tank