Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

So confused....ph levels??

Well as you know ive been doing this cycle thing with my betta,who i have now named Yoshi. Anywho. Silly me didnt think to test his ph lately. Last time i did it was when i first put him in. So i did it today and its at 6.4. Is that okay? Ive read online that that seems okay for bettas. Also,why they give me a high range test in the API test kit? Its in the freshwater kit,so i wasnt sure if i should be checking that also,or just the regular one. On that note,which one do i go by to figure out the free ammonia in his tank? Argh! Lol. Help?

I found a calculator for free ammonia online. If i should be going by the regular ph test,which is 6.4 then his free ammonia is at .008 which is good. If i go by the high range its 7.4 and he needs a water change. Ive been doing daily small water changes cause i thought his ammonia was thru the roof,but now im not so sure. Anybody know? Thanks!!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #2 
onefish2fish

i wouldnt touch the pH. stable pH is better then one thats bouncing all over the place.

you should have a 0ppm ammonia reading when a cycle is complete.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I'm not sure how to answer your questions save one. I'm not sure which test kit you have. I have the API master test kit. My ph runs 7.8 so I use the high test instead of the regular one as my ph is off the chart on the regular test. I have to test with the high ph in order to get an accurate reading. I wish I knew the answers to your other question but I know someone here will!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Ya i dont want to mess with the ph, i just wanna know which test i should use lol. Yes I do have the API test kit for freshwater. So im thinking since its low,i only have to use the low range one. Cause the high range never has really gone that high. When i first tested it,it was like 7.6 on the low range and 7.4 on the high. I decided to test it again today (which i should have a while ago!!) and whadya know its low. The API ammonia test kit doesnt work with amquel so I bought one called Sera. Which measures total and free ammonia. According to the site i found online,my free ammonia is low but total is not.

So thanks onefish and auntkymmie.

As for the cycling,my nitrites have gone up and back down,its holding at .25 right now. My nitrates are at 5.0. Neither have budged in awhile.

Argh again. The calculator i was using online says it uses this guy from perdues formula,but when i actually go to that site the numbers are different. Im guessing total ammonia should be 0 as well as the free?

Last edited by fishyinpa; 01-08-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

haha cant edit now. Well anyways im dumb and didnt realize the perdues site calculator was asking for temp in C not F. Though i was staring at it for awhile. No wonder it was off lol! Its okay to say it,ya dumb girl. Heh.