Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #1 
Haeclark

question about clove oil & vodka method

so I was reading up [re-reading] on the clove oil and vodka method of uthanizeing the fish. Sounds like an interesting way to go out [especially if your a partier ;D ]
was just curious...what would happen if you didn't use the clove oi to pre-make the fish fall asleep? Would that amount of alcohol hurt the fish rather then help it to pass?

just curious
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #2 
onefish2fish

sounds cruel, whats wrong with the fish that you have to put him in?

the freezer always works.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea but I have read all the methods of euthanasia for fish and I didn't like any of them. Some may disagree with me but I think I'd just let mine pass on naturally. If I used the vodka and clove oil method, I'd be afraid of doing it wrong and just make things worse for the fish.Freezing sounds better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #4 
Haeclark

ya IF I have to resort to "puting a little guy down" then freezing is the way I go too...was just curious about the vodka thing. The post didnt really go into detail about what would happen if you messed up :O

Only times I have euthanize any fish was 2 now of the guppies I adopted from my boss [over populated community tank of male and female guppies + an algae eater] Appears they let a good handful of females over-feed, and they now are very bloated.
1st euth-fish: dropsy attack so bad she could do anything...could only swim staight up and down, and appeared to be very stressed.
2nd fish: stayed in same spot for 2 days due to dropsy attack, and wouldn't move. Very labored breathing, very pin-coned, refused to do anything.
there was another female that actually passed by herself due to being so constipated [just started pin-coning around tummy]..she actually started twitching, and kinda siezuring out. I hate to see it get to this point, nor let them suffer threw that...why I usually just help them do it faster by freezing them. Her case...happened to fast to prep.

as the tank was already over populated, and theyalready showed signes of damaged internal parts...thought this was best choice for all the fish.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had 3 fish that died this past 18 months. They died on their own. One died of old age and he went pretty quickly. Te other 2 were sick.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote