Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Cool Different ammonia test....yay!

Well i decided to go down to the LFS and look for a different ammonia test since it says that the API kind doesnt work with amquel. I got this one called Sera. Its a ...oh i cant spell it..but its yellow-green chart so itll work. Anyways,this one measures total and free ammonia,then has a chart to figure out free ammonia! Which is what ya really need to know heh. So yeah,first test i did before the change was like way high. Free ammonia was like .08. I did a 50% wc (would a 25% been okay too?), i tested afterwards,its now at .008! So its in a good range woohoo...Also my nitrites were climbing up,it was at a .5,now its back to 0. I know itll climb again though,as part of the cycle process.

Im really thinking i shouldve paid attention in chemistry class haha. I hated that class! Lmao. Now if they would have made it interesting,as in umm gee setting up a fish tank, I mightve liked it! They probably do that now of course. Oh well. So yeah thats about it for now.

oh ya. Should i be doing wc's every day to get my levels down? Since the API wasnt reading correctly, i was so confused with when i should do em. I did 3 this week. Now that i have a better test, i can better gauge it,so maybe few times a week is okay? I will be keeping an eye on nitrites and if they go up ill do another wc. Hopefully this will all be done soon! Oh I am done with stability now,it was a small dose daily for 7 days then every 7 days after that. So no more of that stuff. Now what to do with this big ol bottle that i only used a wee lil bit of...heh...

Last edited by fishyinpa; 01-04-2009 at 04:57 PM.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #2 
Kim

Good to know you got a correct test kit. I'd test daily and do a water change anytime ammonia or nitrate rises above .25. You'll get a gauge on how much you need to do each time, although you shouldn't need to do more than 50%. Oh, and don't vaccuum the gravel each time. It is ok to change water frequently because the good bacteria don't colonize there, but if you vaccuum the gravel too much you will be destroying the colonies each time and your tank will never cycle. A portion once a week should be fine for you vaccuuming.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #3 
fishyinpa

thanks kim. oh i didnt know that one! oops. good to know now though. now seras test is different from api so that confused me even more lol. but i think i have it figured it out now. :)
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote