Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #11 
Antje

I forgot to mention, that I see bubbles sitting on the bottom and a few on the sides of the spring water aquarium (this one was not used before), but I see none in the tap water aquarium. Is that good or bad or does it not matter?
Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #12 
Twistersmom

Some tap water does contain ammonia. Maybe recheck that using a clean bowl. the bubbles are just trapped air, not a prob.

Last edited by Twistersmom; 01-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #13 
Antje

Ok, I'll do that. I'm so bad in chemistry, but I would guess, that it doesn't matter, if the tap is fresh or aged, right? The ammonia shouldn't change by aging or airating, correct?

I'm glad the bubbles are ok.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #14 

If I could, I would use water conditioner PRIME and I wish everyone did. The water conditioner Tetra Aqua- safe removes chlorine and breaks the bond of chlorine and ammonia (chloramines) but does NOT neutralize ammonia. Amquel+ is another good water conditioner but IME messes with ammonia test using API test kit which is why I use PRIME. I would use amquel+ with no worries if dosed correctly I just don't wanna buy another brand test kit cause I like the API test kit. GEt yourself some PRIME and no worries.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #15 
Twistersmom

You can test for ammonia while the water if fresh. If your tap water test free of ammonia, I dont see any reason not to use it. Easyer and cheaper in the long run. Just dont do a drastic switch. Give the fish a chace to adapt. Maybe add 20 to 25% of the (new water) with each water change. Even a little less than that may be better.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #16 
Antje

Hi,

I went to petco and got the medium size of pebbles/gravel. They are probably 0.5 cm each in different colors and shapes. Would they be ok for my undergravel filter in the aquariums? I think I read somewhere, that it would be easier to get the poop from underneath, when the gravel was a little bigger.

It was interesting, it says on all petco bags, that the gravel was processed so it would be safe for the fish. All the petsmart bags say that the gravel may change the water. But all gravel looks the same.

Also I checked the water again today with the following results:

ph spring 3 days old: 6.2/6.4 again
ph high range tap 3 days old: 8.2 again
ammonia tap fresh: 025/0.50 (a little more on the lower side) I'll call the city tomorrow and ask, if they changed something, because when I checked before, it was 0. Just a general thought: how safe is the water for us, because we drink it - filtered with pure water filter?

Ok, so, since I just bought the api test kit and also a bottle of tetra aqua safe, it would be the safest to stay with the spring water, right? When I run out of aqua safe, I'll get PRIME and switch slowly to tap water? But PRIME wouldn't change the ph, I guess. Isn't 8.2 a little high?
How is the dosing with PRIME? I'm pretty happy with the aqua safe, because it's so easy with the drops per liter. Oh and 1077, what is IME?

Best,
Antje
Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 AM   #17 

IME= In my expierience. If you don't place fish in the tank the aqua-safe is ok to use. It can also be used in a mature tank where biological bacteria or bio- bed has been established. As stated Aqua safe breaks the bond of chlorine and ammonia but does NOT detoxify the ammonia. In a mature or cycled tank this ammonia would be broken down by the biological filter(good bacteria) but in a cycling tank with fish the ammonia left, combined with ammonia from fish poo would rise to lethal levels if frequent water changes were not performed. Prime doses at one ml per ten gal of water and does not affect PH. It will detoxify AMMONIA,CHLORINE and CHLORAMINES. PRIME would be my choice on a cycling tank and is what many use on their tanks cycled or not.Please post the ph for your tapwater after three days with low range ph test and high range test. Always allow enough time for test to develop as per instructions with API test kit. Do not allow too much time to elapse or not enough or results will not be accurate.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #18 

I see from rereading the posts that you have already performed both high range and low range test for ph . The ph of both spring water and or tapwater should be safe forthe fish.You can stay with springwater or go with tapwater if change is gradual. The main thing is stability.Too many folks begin chasing magical ph values when in fact, most fish will adapt to the ph as long as it remains constant or stable.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #19 
Twistersmom

You said you where going to call your water company. I did read a story about a guy who found out he received his water from two different places. One added ammonia to the water, one did not. Some water companys add ammonia to their water, forget the reason, but it is safe for people to drink.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #20 
Antje

Hi,

thank you 1077 and Twistersmom for your help and infos. I had tried to look up what IME stands for, but only found weird stuff, so thanks for that, too!
Didn't reach anybody at the city yet, but it's very possible, that we are getting the water from different places.

Antje