Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 
BlueBlazeSilverHeart

sorority question

so these last 2 weeks have been a horrific time for my fishlets. i lost 2 girls and one is isolated with a sick. will my remaining 2 girls be alright with each other in the sorority tank for (a week) until i can get new fish? or do i have to separate them?? and also what would be easy to care for tank additions i was thinking about snails. any suggestions for fish for the tank it's a 10 g heated filtered with some live plants and an algae eater.
BlueBlazeSilverHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there, sorry to hear of your losses!

I would separate the remaining two girls, even if they have been with each other for a while now, aggression can come out of the blue sometimes so best to just separate them until the time comes they can be reintroduced.

If you can, I would get two more girls to round it back to 5, 3 isn't enough to spread aggression around and you could end up with some more dead girls and that wouldn't be fun! With that done, I wouldn't get any snails they poop way too much and don't actually really clean except for algae removal. But they poop more than their worth so you'd be siphoning out even more poop is what I'm saying.

What kind of algae eater do you have in there? You might be over stocked depending on what it is.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 
BlueBlazeSilverHeart

i actually don't know what kind of algae eater it is it was just labeled algae eater when i bought it. it's the only other fish in the tank with my 5 girls. today i separated my remaining girls, but the poor things keep trying to get back together. they seem really depressed. but now snow seems to be showing signs of sickness, but it may just be stress. tomorrow I'm going to get another critter keeper for my last girl so i can super clean my tank.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 
BettaNubRandyLove

If you got it at petco and it's labeled algae eater, its most likely a Chinese algae eater which grow to be large and thus need large tanks. I'm not sure if it's suitable for a ten gallon.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

These fish can also eat the slime coats of neighboring fish which can make them more susceptible to disease. So if you see the algae eater giving kisses then definitely separate it from the other fish.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I agree, you should get rid of it before it causes more problems.

You can float the girls in cups in the 10 gallon so they can still see each other for now but just don't keep them together is all until you get more girls. Can I get some updated pictures of them to see if they've got any sickness?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #7 
BlueBlazeSilverHeart

i'm going to go get some pics right now. and unfortunately i can only float one of my girls b/c the other is a Houdini- she has never been floated longer than 5 min with out getting out of her cup>< would they be ok just being in critter keepers that are side by side? thats how i usually intro new girls for their first week of QT. snow also seems to be getting a lump on the side of her face.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah the critter keepers will be fine. I'd need a picture of the lump to see what it is exactly.

I have lids on my cups otherwise they do escape. That or rubber band some saran wrap with a few holes in it and you're good to go
Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #9 
BlueBlazeSilverHeart

haven't tried saran wrap... she gets out of the lids, i have no idea how><
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do they tip over? She could get out of the hole on top if there is one.

I use twisty ties and make a hook to keep the cups upright, floating and at the side of the tank and then hook the other side of the tie to the edge of the tank. I don't have a lid on that one so they just hook over the sides. If you have a hood that makes it easier to keep the twisty ties there.