Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #1 
redcharizard

Question water changing color need advice

so monday morning my 10gal tank will be due for its weekly change
but i only have two bettas and two ghost shrimp the water is fairly new and i didnt expect it to get as cloudy and yellow as it is this early

im planning on getting a uv sterilizer and a light timer because a few times the lights are on pastt 12 hours and sometimes under 12

i have incandescent lights it came as a combo with my tank i dont have plans for replacing the lights anytime soon

so any advice on how to clarify and change my water would be helpful
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #2 
OrangeAugust

What kind of substrate are you using? Do you have any driftwood in the tank? Is your tank cycled and/or have a filter?

Driftwood can turn the water a light tea color pretty quickly, but it shouldn't be cloudy. My 55 gallon was cloudy at the beginning but I found out it was because my nitrates were too high. Once I got them lowered, the water cleared up. Also, if you're using sand that wasn't thoroughly washed it can make the water cloudy and might tint the water depending on what color it is.
Lastly, if you tank isn't fully cycled but you have a filter, you probably have what they call "bacterial bloom", which is when a tank starts cycling, and all the good bacteria starts growing, making the water a bit cloudy.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 
redcharizard

well i changed my water today im sure my tank is cycled because i took my water to get tested at petco before changing it and ammonia levels were fine and i tested everything else my self
im using red and blue aquarium gravel not sure what brand and i have no drift wood.
well anyways after the change water is still a bit cloudy and the filter has been running for about 30 mins
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #4 
Skyr

Incandescent lights naturally give off a very yellow light, and though has nothing to do with cloudiness of the water, might be making it appear much more yellow than it is if you don't have anything producing tanins in your tank.

I need to replace the light in my 5 gall for the same reason.. incandescent can never bring out the true colours in a tank IMO.
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcharizard View Post
so monday morning my 10gal tank will be due for its weekly change
but i only have two bettas and two ghost shrimp the water is fairly new and i didnt expect it to get as cloudy and yellow as it is this early

im planning on getting a uv sterilizer and a light timer because a few times the lights are on pastt 12 hours and sometimes under 12

UV sterilizer will not be effective. The length of the sterilizer and the power of the pump affects the time the water gets treated passing through the UV light. So the shorter (usually cheaper, too) it is, the less effective it will be. The cloudy water may be due to bacteria bloom. From this info it is more likely algae bloom due to the long hours of lighting.

i have incandescent lights it came as a combo with my tank i dont have plans for replacing the lights anytime soon

so any advice on how to clarify and change my water would be helpful
My suggestion is :
lights off for 2 days, add Excel to the tank
then 75% WC every 3 days until it clears up in a week or two. Also, clean the glass of the AQ. If you want, you can try Seachem Clarity adn Stability, but I think it is a waste of money. Good husbandry will make the water clear.

If you like, have a couple of Amano since they are great algae eaters and much lower bioload that a snail.
Also, keep tank away from direct sunlight.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water changes, water clarifying, water clarity