Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #1 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gouramis in a sorority?

How about it? I am looking into setting up a ten gallon sorority and I was hoping to maybe put a dwarf gourami or two in with the girls... is that a bad idea?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team
 
lilnaugrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rhode Island
That's a bad idea in such a small space. Gourami's are also antabantoids like Betta's they breathe air so they would be sharing the same space.

Also for a sorority to work, you need to have 5-6+ girls in there, otherwise you're going to end up with one or two dead girls.

If it were a 30+ tank, I might consider ONE DG but only if there's enough plants and when I say that, I mean it needs to be a jungle in there lol Otherwise, no, I would no risk it
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 
Freyja
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Two girls is not a sorority; its a pair. Different anabantoids should not be kept together.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Two girls is not a sorority; its a pair. Different anabantoids should not be kept together.
I never said it was only two girls? I am planning on having at least 5...

Alright, no dwarf gouramis. Thanks.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team
 
lilnaugrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Oh my bad, looks like you said "...maybe put a dwarf gourami in with the two girls..."

I realized that I switched them around, sorry! Either way you do want the maximum amount of girls in there to make it work. And if you've got other fish in there, that means less girls. So yeah, no DG, sorry
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 
OrangeAugust
Member
 
OrangeAugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
BAD IDEA. I tried it just last week in my 55 gallon tank. The gourami harassed my female bettas, especially two of them, so that they had stress stripes all the time and all but two of the bettas were constantly hiding. The dwarf gourami wasn't violent to them, but kept following them around and touching them with its feelers. It was really funny at first until he wouldn't leave them alone and I saw that they were getting stressed. I had to bring the gourami back to the store. After he was gone all the bettas came out of hiding and were swimming around normally again.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oh my bad, looks like you said "...maybe put a dwarf gourami in with the two girls..."

I realized that I switched them around, sorry! Either way you do want the maximum amount of girls in there to make it work. And if you've got other fish in there, that means less girls. So yeah, no DG, sorry
No big, I do stuff like that all the time. :) I'm actually planning on having 7-8 girls now that I've done my research. I am buying the tank tomorrow and then I'm gonna have to find a home for it in my room so that I can get it set up and cycling before I go to find my girls.

Sorry if I seemed annoyed, I have had a lot of people snapping at me on this forum lately and it gets really old. I realize now we both just misunderstood one another. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
BAD IDEA. I tried it just last week in my 55 gallon tank. The gourami harassed my female bettas, especially two of them, so that they had stress stripes all the time and all but two of the bettas were constantly hiding. The dwarf gourami wasn't violent to them, but kept following them around and touching them with its feelers. It was really funny at first until he wouldn't leave them alone and I saw that they were getting stressed. I had to bring the gourami back to the store. After he was gone all the bettas came out of hiding and were swimming around normally again.
Heh, sounds like the girls were not amused by the DG getting touchy-feely with them. No dwarf gourami for my sorority, then! :) I'll get a pair for my 20g community and be a happy girl.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team
 
lilnaugrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rhode Island
No worries! I understand totally. Chatting on the web can be hard just because you can't get the feeling behind it usually and either missread or it will seem like there's a bit attitude or the person is being rude. I completely understand that and have been mistaken myself I generally try to say on everyone's good side lol but I know we all have our days ^_^

A pair would be great for the 20g! Although, are you planning two males? Just make sure there is enough plants in there so they can stake out their own territories. It's also extremely hard to find females for your DG's because most of them have been given hormones to make them males because the males sell >.<

But good luck with that! It should be a great tank and I do love DG's I'm thinking about getting one for my 29 when it get's setup ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 
Freyja
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
DG should be kept in sexed pairs anyway and the 20g is enough for a pair.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.