Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 
LucidSong

Question Color loss?

So I have had my girl, Iris, for a few weeks now and while she was in the 1g QT tank she was gaining her color back. Now, a day after moving her to her new 10g she has lost all color again and hasn't gained it back. When I cupped her to move her she lost her color almost instantly. Shes still active, exploring her new tank and everything in it, and eats like a little piggy.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #2 
OrangeAugust

I find that when females are nervous they lose their color much more quickly and they get stress stripes much easier than males. I had two females who were faded and constantly had stress stripes for the first few days that I had them, and then after those few days, they would get their color back once in a while, but if I made a quick move near the tank, they would freak out and get stress stripes again. It took a few weeks but they calmed down and stopped freaking out when I walked in the room. lol
When I put 6 girls in my 55 gallon community tank last week, two of them, who I've had the longest, got stress stripes and were faded out for a few days straight. I think it was the move, plus being with new bettas and other fish, and also I had a dwarf gourami that was harassing one of them (I brought the gourami back to the store because of it). But now it's been 4 days and they only fade and get stress stripes occasionally and they don't last long.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #3 
LucidSong

Well she had her colors back last night but this morning she had lost her colors again. Its good to know she'll eventually chill out. As she an all white fiah without her colors stripea are hard to see. :/
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Oh, hmm... that's interesting that there are no stress stripes when her colors fade, but it sounds as if it is related to stress (like her losing her color as soon as you cupped her)...
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote