Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 
emadionne

Baby betta not eating

Hey everyone, i just got a baby betta and he wont eat his food which is Flakes. He ate up all his food the first day i got him but now he just spits it back out. I don't know if I should go out and buy him a different kind of food or wait it out a few more days. I'm just a little worried about him and don't want to wait to long to do something and risk him getting sick.

Please help!
emadionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 
bethyMT

Poor baby! We need some information from you first...what are his living conditions...temp, size, water changes, chemistry, tankmates, all that.
Also, we need to know what you are trying to feed him.

I don't know your experience level with bettas, but babies can be difficult to raise. If purchased from a pet store, they have been through a lot of stress....this stress is often too much for adult bettas, let alone little ones.

Others will be along to help when we have that info. Just really quickly...babies need warm water (80F- 82F IMO), really really really clean water, and high quality, baby-appropriate food a few times a day. They should not have tankmates unless it is other baby bettas, and even then it can be tough if they aren't siblings.

Good luck!
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 
emadionne

He has no tankmates. I have him in a vase which i have had three bettas live in before him (one after the other not all at one time). I have never had a baby betta before though they have always been adults when i got them. My baby fish, Daryl, was purchased at a petco. He looks good, swims around, he will follow my finger and comes to look at me when i come near the vase. The Temp. of his water is wround 80F. He

I bought him BettaMin tropical Medley Flakes, which a worker told me this is what he feeds his betta and they love it. But Daryl is just spiting them back out.

I went out today and bought soom blood worms, Daphnia, Mysis. I gave him one little Blood worm and i believe he ate it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #4 
bethyMT

OK. Good he ate something.

Hmmmm, a vase you say? I'm not sure any vase would really be big enough. I personally recommend at least two gallons. This baby will need room to grow! Also, baby bettas secrete a growth-limiting hormone that will built up in the water and stop him from growing (this is something that has a purpose in nature but doesn't help if he's in captivity). In a small vase, that hormone will build up fast and he won't be able to grow. At least in a two gallon there's more water to dilute that stuff. Also, how often are you changing water? Every day? Waste builds up fast in tiny tanks...both poop and stuff you can't see.

I would recommend you read the stickies on this forum about humane betta care, and make changes if needed. There is a lot of bad info out there about how to keep fish...what you will read here is correct, and will help your betta not only live, but actually have a nice quality of life too.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Most people would recommend pellets over flakes because they are higher quality. Baby Bettas require a very high protein and very small pellet (most flakes are mostly filler and very little nutrients and protein.) There are plenty of pellets designed specifically for babies, but if you can't find one, find a high quality pellet, and if it's too big try crushing it for him to make it easier for him to eat.
Also, as PP stated, small containers build up hormones very quickly, and it will stunt his growth. So unless you are doing 100% water changes daily, he will never get much bigger than what he is now.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

NLS Grow is a good juvi pellet and agree with the other posters on care.

A tank big enough for a heater and sponge filter like a 5g would be great.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 
emadionne

thanks everyone for the advise i will look into getting a better home for him.

Also he still isn't eating, i gave him some food this morning and he hasn't touched it at all.

Tags
baby betta