Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #1 
countyrd419

Question Pecking The Tank

Rusty sometimes glares and attacks the right side of my tank
(see picture) as he thinks another betta fish is entering his home. Is there anything that I can do to stop this? I don't want him to injury his mouth as he goes after his reflection. I am sure some of you have had this situation too. I guess in time he will realize that its just him in the tank and no one else
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would get some taller plants to put on that side of the tank. It'll break up his line of sight & give some places to hide. Some people put a piece of non-reflective paper or something on the outside. Does he do it when all the time or just at certain times of the day? I know when the tank lights are on but its dark outside of the tank they are more likely to see their reflection.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #3 
countyrd419

Rusty just attacks his reflection when he feels like it. I know that the PetSmart in Oviedo, FL has lots of tall plants to fix this problem. Right now money is tight until Friday when I get paid. Thank you shellieca for your advice. Does PetSmart sell a special type of paper for this issue?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens more than it doesn't. If it makes you feel better though, you can try a piece of cardboard or constructionn paper, just lay it against the outside of the tank. Those are readily available or inexpensive. I don't know that there is a special paper that can be bought. Most of us understand money issues.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #5 
EdgyWolf

I had this similar problem. My betta fish started going crazy attacking one side of my tank. It looks like you have a 2.5 aqueon mini bow. I do too. All I did was put a piece of blank paper behind the tank and my betta finally stopped going into attack mode after a few minutes of me putting a piece of blank paper behind the tank. Maybe it will work for you too. Hope this helps!
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 
countyrd419

Thank you EdgyWolf for your tips. I will do this right now.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #7 
EdgyWolf

You're welcome. I hope it works for you as well!! Keep us updated!!
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #8 
countyrd419

Cool Rusty's Pecking

Rusty stills flares and pecks the right side of his tank; even though I put a piece of paper on that side. I took it off.

I guess he still thinks someone is invading his home. I am going to go to PetSmart either tomorrow or Saturday to get some tall plants to block his view. Just shows you the unique behavior of our male betta fish pets and how they do defend their area. They are smart indeed.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

How's the lighting on that side of the tank? You can try adjusting the lighting so there's light on the outside when the tank light is on. Does that make sense? If its dark outside the tank & the tank light is on, he's more likely to see his reflection & vice versa. Plants should help.