Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
nel3

questions regarding elite mini submersible heaters

i have 6 25w elite mini submersible heaters. 4 currently in use (2 months past were 5 in use) and one is reserved for QT purposes. 2 have the teflon seals showing (1mm showing) between the rubber seal and the temp control head. 3 others are visibly fine. one is a newer model without the teflon seal option. this 6th one works perfectly (just as the other 5 do) but the rubber seal is swollen. its very easy to compress the rubber as the seal isnt as close to the glass part o the heater. it forms a crown shape rather than the tight form fitting seal like the others i have.

does anyone also have such a heater that has this seal type? if so have you had any troubles with it? to me it seems the seal is starting to slide out from being swollen but it may just be how it was made. here are the pics of the 6th one. ive taken one of my spare heaters for the tank atm until i know more on the situation with the 6th heater i own.

nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #2 
bniebetta

I have never used that model, but I have used Elite heaters before and I found them to be absolute crap. Condensation on the inside can be really dangerous and cause it to explode, so be really careful :/ I would recommend just buying a new heater..... I like this one. It's cheap and works fantastically http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...um-heater.html.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #3 
nel3

i have to admit, its the first time ive heard that elite models may catastrophcally fail. ive had some for 2-3 years and never had serious issues with them. 2-3 years may not be the longest but they've all worked very well. the mounting suction cups are staring to swell a bit but none have had a heating operation issue. i'll keep a close eye on my remaining heaters for any suspicious signs. ive heard great reviews on both elite minis (in the past) and hydor brands. id be up to test out the Hydor brands also.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #4 
bniebetta

I think some of it depends on the model. Some look a LOOOOOTTT better than others. Maybe the ones I used were just plain crap, but I would never buy Elite brand again because of it. Good to know though that you have has some success with them! I reallllly love the Hydors, they rock!! :D
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #5 
Seki

I think you'll hear good and bad things about any product. I had heard amazing things about the Theo, but the one I got must have been a lemon because after a year, it stopped working properly and tried to boil my fish. Now, on the other hand, I have heard horrible things about Top Fin heaters, but I was in a pinch and needed two heaters, so I picked a couple up. They have been working great for the past month and a half. :)

I'd be willing to get another Hydor, since mine worked awesomely for the first year, but I'd always be paranoid about it shooting the tank temp up like mine did.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #6 
nel3

the elite mini are pretty strong heaters and must be slowly adjusted. when my vt was in his last days i put him in qt with 2g of water. i adjusted the dial a bit less than 1/8th of a turn to find the temp at 33c. the heater is ok (tested later on in the day) but i was a bit zealous in raising setting, that aside the fish couldnt get better. mine work well on 1g tanks also but it has to be very close to minimum.

the heater in the pic was made april 2008. i got 2 more of same production run and none seem anywhere close to the one in the pic.

Last edited by nel3; 06-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.