Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
mgarch

Question Problem with my heater?

My heater is only bringing the tank to 74 degrees F. Is this a problem? should I take it back or will it be okay?
mgarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 
mgarch

putting the heater on the side with the temp gauge to see if it makes a difference...
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

How many watts and what size tank? I tried a 25 watt heater in a 10 gallon (I already had the heater from when I had a 5 gallon), but it wasn't able to heat that amount of water so it only got up to about 75 no matter how high I turned it up. So I got a 50 watt heater for that tank, which works fine.
Yes, you should return it to the store because if it is enough watts for your tank, it is not working properly. Bettas need water at least a few degrees warmer than that. Or you can exchange it for a heater with the proper wattage for your size tank.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #4 
mgarch

It's a 5.5 gallon tank. I'm not sure on the wattage but it's the cheap 2-15 gallon one from Walmart. I went and exchanged it for the same one and it still doesn't get past 74. I should have just bought a nicer one... Ugh
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
nel3

if its one of those tetra heaters then those are hit and miss. some people here have no problems with them while others have had many problems with them ie not shutting off or even turning on.
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #6 
mgarch

It is! I hate that little thing. It comes off and on it just doesn't pick up that it's too cold
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #7 
jsmith11618

The Tetra heaters are set to 78F +/- 2 degrees, so yours is a little on the cool side, but sometimes thermometers are not the most accurate either.

My glass thermometers say the water is 75F but the digital one says is 78.5.

I use the Tetra heaters from Wal-Mart have not had any issues, they work well in my experience, but they do have a range of +/- a couple degrees either way.

Try getting a digital thermometer, they only run 10-15 dollars and tend to be more accurate.
jsmith11618 is offline   Reply With Quote