Kiara1125

New additions from my lfs [PICS!!]

Here's the angel pair.

Echo

Reverb

My dainty corydora pair

Bigger one

Smaller one

And Flux, my bristlenose pleco baby (he's only an inch log)

Random group! xD Echo (angel), the dainty cory, Tanchi (ryukin goldfish in the back), and Sparx (female german blue ram)

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Wait... You have angels in with bettas and goldfish? I would be very careful...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #3 
JellOh

How big is your tank? That seems like a dangerous combination of messy, big fish and aggressive fish. You might want to do some more rashers and then divide up your fish into different tanks of the proper size with the proper companions.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

Kiara posted her tank specs and stock here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=190665

I am guessing it is the 20 gallon long. I think she said she is going to upgrade soon though...

I personally never got into angels. They're pretty fish though and yours are no exception. I wish you the best of luck with them, Kiara.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

Thank you, Feng.

Everyone has settled in nicely. The cichlids are the most peaceful things I have in this tank, surprisingly. I don't know why people freak out about my goldfish. They don't attack anybody like people seem to make it out to be. My females are well behaved and FWIW, I have a canister filter hooked up to my 20gL. Filtration is covered and there's no personal space issues. It's just a balance of personalities and attitudes which has been going great so far. My most aggressive fish in the tank is my top female betta, Apocalyptica, but she stays to herself and mainly asserts her position amongst the females. There's no need to worry. My tank is perfectly balanced. :)

Also, as Feng pointed out, yes, I am upgrading. I'm moving soon and all these fish are going into a 55g.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #6 
djembekah

Goldfish need to be kept at different temperatures than the rest of those fish. also the platies and goldfish need harder water than the other fish.
and having personally kept a mated pair of angels, the rest of those fish could be in a lot of danger when they spawn. and if for some reason they are not a pair, there could be a lot of aggression and problems and deaths in your tank.
i just want you to be aware of the issues with your community. i recommend picking fish that fit your tank AND your water hardness and pH
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by djembekah; 06-11-2013 at 03:21 AM.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #7 
Kiara1125

I don't have the money to go out and by pH buffers and all this other stuff. Also, how am I supposed to adjust the temperature when the water automatically gets in the 80s during the summer when I take the heater out? I can't do anything about that. I'm always watching for any signs of aggression. I'm not just going to sit back and let them kill each other. They're fine for now and I'll face problems as they arise. Like I stated before though, I can't change the temperature or the pH or hardness. The fish seen fine and happy as they are. All of them are used to this pH and grew up with it. The only fish I ever bought that was wild caught were otocinclus affinis. I look into my fish before I buy them. Other people have had good experiences with these fish together, so I thought that I would try it out.

I understand what's "wrong" with my tank. I would just like to be able to post pictures for people to enjoy without others jumping on me for how I need to change everything. I believe that my fish are fine. I see how they are on a daily basis and they are happy and healthy. I'm not going to bend over backwards just to please someone when it comes to my fish. They're my fish and I'll do what I please with them. At least I'm not shoving them into a bowl or a vase and calling it "pretty and humane". They're in a big, cycled, well filtrated tank and they're going to be upgraded in a few months. I bought the angels because I knew they wouldn't have to wait long for a big tank. That tank has experienced paired angels in it before and there was never any fighting due to the amount of hiding places and plants in there. Everything is and will be fine.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #8 
jennesque

So many of those fish will outgrow your tank. A single angel in a 20gal is too much.. A single goldfish in a 20 gal is too much as well.

You don't have to buy products to change your tap water, in fact, it's best for the fish to leave out all the additives (except obviously a conditioner to remove chlorine). You should test your tap water and buy fish appropriate for the water. My fish are all south american fish that require soft, acidic water, because that it was naturally occurs in my tank.

You are keeping fish together with different care requirements. Livebearers and goldfish I believe as well need hard water, they suffer without those minerals in the water. Fish that need softer water can, for instance, die of calcium blockages that form because they are not adapted to those high mineral contents.

Plus, like your cory fish should be in a larger group than two.. If those are a sort of pygmy cory you should really have at least 5-8.. There's no room for more than one pleco with so many other fish, those things are poop machines!

I'm not trying to be rude, you are on a forum about fish care.. We're replying to try to help you provide adequate care for the fish who's lives are now in your hands.

You may want to go through and read the profiles for each fish you have stocked so you can see each individual fish's requirements and see if that matches what naturally occurs in your tank. And if your temps get up into the 80s (which is horrible for goldfish by the way, they are cold water fish) then pick fish appropriate to that. Rams will do fine in a 20gal with 80 degree temps, there are a few cory species that can as well, cardinal tetras are also an option as well as others. Pick fish that match what you can easily provide so you have less to worry about and less work to bother with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jennesque; 06-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

When you get your 55, you should totally get a group of dainty's for your pair they would love that! Just like any other cory cat they are shoalers so they like the company. I've got 6 in my 33 and they're so adorable, your's are too cute as well! They're my favorite cory cat ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 
Kiara1125

I want to get more! My lfs only had two and the giant danios in that tank kept messing with them. They love it in my tank. My boyfriend has a TON of bronze and albino cories in his 40gB and they constantly breed. His huge angel, Doom [xD], doesn't even mess with the fry. She's 8 and she just doesn't care! He loves peppered and dainty cories and wants to have a shoal of them. I think that's gonna be epic!

Still, what about the fish that are in ponds and the high temps there? My goldfish were bred by my godfather and were a gift to me. I'm keeping them. He doesn't provide cold water for them, yet he breeds quality koi that he bought from shows.

Also, I guess I would also get pointed out [even though the tank isn't mine] that the 55g has a whole bunch of catfish in it including 3 plecos and a whiptail. Course, I'm not going to drag that tank into this "problem". My goldfish aren't going to be in the 20gL forever. That's what people don't understand. It's temporary until I move. I would be up to setting up an indoor pond for them, but my parents won't allow it. I had to sneak in the 20gL when I bought it and I still got yelled at. Please don't automatically assume that I'm trying to torture my fish [not saying that you're assuming that though, I'm just saying]. I want the best for them, but if other people are going to keep the same exact fish I do with this water, then I might as well join in and enjoy the fish. They're used to these water parameters and grew up with them. My fish are growing fine and are healthy. Only problems I had with the goldfish was ich one year [in the winter, mind you] and they turned out fine. My goldfish seem to not like it when I take the heater out during the winter. They like the warmer temperatures. Fish and all other animals are like humans. They have their own preferences. As for my other fish, like I stated before, they don't pick on each other. There's no nipping at fins or trying to eat each others faces off. People keep telling me that my goldfish are going to eat my white cloud mountain minnow. Uhh ... no. But, don't get me wrong. They will eat EVERYTHING in that tank ... vegetation wise. My goldfish don't mess with my other fish and actually prefer the company, IMHO.