Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #21 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Are "Dainties" the same as Pygmy cories?

Also, are those "koi" angels? They're cute.

I used to buy duckweed as a treat for our goldfish, you're might like it too, and I'm hoping you can get your indoor pond set up when you move, I'd love to see it (I'm eventually planning one myself).
My goldfish love duckweed. Ate everything I had! lol they'll love it and my boyfriend wants to set up an indoor pond for either goldfish or his turtle, so we'll see how that goes!

I'm pretty sure my angels are marbles, but they had koi and pear scales there too, along with blushing and zebras, etc.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #22 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
No Dainty/Dwarf Cory's are Corydoras Habrosus while pygmies are Corydoras Pygmeaus, two different species ^_^ Habrosus are actually smaller than Pygmeaus at 1 inch vs. 1.5-2 inches.

I wish I could have an indoor pond as well! We have our larger pond in the back filled with comets. We started with three, one orange, one black and one white and now have over 150+ in there! It's crazy awesome.

And yes my friend keeps their goldfish at 80 degree's constantly and they're just fine, I feel that it is the same with most cold water things, they can be acclimated to hotter temps just fine. Like Anacharis is a cold water plant but we keep it in hotter water temps all the time, don't see where it would be much different

I wish you luck with your 55, it sounds like it's going to be an awesome tank! I'm pretty jealous too.

(I had to sneak in my 33 as well haha)
+1 habrosus are sooo much fun to watch! I honestly like them better than the pygmy cories. And, technically, they are Venesuelan pygmy cories. Haha!

Have you seen the 55? I posted pictures of t in the showing off your planted tank section.

I agree on the goldfish temperatures. Isn't sneaking in a tank hard as well? I went a month without being noticed, and then my dad decided to watch my fish. Busted!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
+1 habrosus are sooo much fun to watch! I honestly like them better than the pygmy cories. And, technically, they are Venesuelan pygmy cories. Haha!

Have you seen the 55? I posted pictures of t in the showing off your planted tank section.

I agree on the goldfish temperatures. Isn't sneaking in a tank hard as well? I went a month without being noticed, and then my dad decided to watch my fish. Busted!
Interesting but yes I love my little dainty's! I don't like any pygmy or albino cory's, never did. I don't like the Emerald/Green's either, I seem to like things with spots or stripes on them haha

I haven't seen it! I'll have to go take a look!!

Yeah, well my dad knew about it, it was my grandfather I was sneaking it by. Well "grandfather" only by blood, not choice. Either way he pays for the electricity and all he's aware about is the three on my bureau/nightstand, not the 5.5 and the 33. And I'm pretty sure he still doesn't know even after 5 months lol He's not allowed in my room but I'm pretty sure the dirty old man goes into it looking for goodies when I'm not there. Ugg grosses me out just thinking about it.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #24 
Kiara1125

Well, I'm tired of arguing my point if I'm just going to be ignored. I appreciate Skye and Lil for liking my fish and acknowledging what's going to happen with the upgrade. Besides, I have to get rid of my platies web I move, so that will be a deduction. Also, you don't know how stocked the tank is. I know that Lil and Skye know that there's a goldfish already on that tank, but guess what? The tank is in Florida. You can't fix the heat problems there. My boyfriend doesn't have a heater in a single tank, yet the temperatures still soar. Fish adapt, just like any other animal. You see penguins and polar bears living in zoos and enduring the summer heat, don't you? You can take everything perfect for everyone.

As for the goldfish and they're size, yes, they've been around for a while. All of my goldfish have doubled, if not tripled in size. They're not stunted and they're not showing any signs of being stunted. If you read the link that Feng provided, it states how my goldfish are only expected to get to about 6". My godfather keeps hos goldfish in tanks and ponds. He has a 4600g pond, yet the goldfish grow the same as a tank goldfish. I can't explain why and I don't want to go into reasonings of it. I know that he treats his fish amazingly well.

As for the plecos, he has a male and female bristlenose and a clown pleco. I have a bristlenose and a rubberlip. They don't get big and there's more than enough food in my tank to support my two.

I could easily list off what I have in my tank, bu I would just get criticized even more, haha. The upgrade will be in 4 months and I'm rehoming some fish. The goldfish and angels aren't going to cause a problem to the 55, let alone the plecos or my sorority. That tank could have near nothing in it and you people would still say that it's overstocked. Here's the thing. I would rather have goldfish living happily and growing in a 20gL rather than sitting in a bare and cold 46g just for them to live longer. I'm not trying to kill my fish, I'm trying to make them happy and give them the best life that I can. If there are any problems that arise with my fish, then the blame is on me. I know what I'm getting myself into. If anyone thinks that my way of keeping fish is "cruel and inhumane" then you can leave this thread alone. I'm simply looking for a place to share my tank and be happy, not be pounced on every time a goldfish slips into a picture. Heck, I could take out my goldfish and take pictures of my tank and I would still get jumped on saying that my tank is overstocked. There is no winning or solid justification on forums. I've been keeping fish for 3 years now. It may not seem like long, but I did a year of research before I started anything. I don't even have a saltwater tank and I can still say things about them. I can identify fish and corals, and I don't need people saying that every choice that I make for my fish is wrong. There's a lot of other people who keep there goldfish with their community fish. I know people on Koko's who does the same. There's a person who keeps 3 goldfish in a 20gL like I do (with a common pleco, mind you) but it's automatically justified, because the three goldfish all have one eye missing and the pleco is getting moved out to the pond within a year. How is that right that I get ridiculed, but they don't?

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-11-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #25 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I already know how your tank is stocked, I've seen one of your other threads.

Have you ever tested your water?

And how do you know your fish are happy?

Last edited by SeaHorse; 06-12-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: rudeness
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #26 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Interesting but yes I love my little dainty's! I don't like any pygmy or albino cory's, never did. I don't like the Emerald/Green's either, I seem to like things with spots or stripes on them haha

I haven't seen it! I'll have to go take a look!!

Yeah, well my dad knew about it, it was my grandfather I was sneaking it by. Well "grandfather" only by blood, not choice. Either way he pays for the electricity and all he's aware about is the three on my bureau/nightstand, not the 5.5 and the 33. And I'm pretty sure he still doesn't know even after 5 months lol He's not allowed in my room but I'm pretty sure the dirty old man goes into it looking for goodies when I'm not there. Ugg grosses me out just thinking about it.
Eww ... I'm so sorry! The only goodies my dad goes after is my secret stash of Hostess snacks. lol my dad yells at me for the electricity and water bill too. Not sure why. It doesn't make much of a difference, if you ask me. Our electricity bill is only $80, yet he flips out. My neighbor has a bill of around $600 cuz they just keep the air conditioning and lights on allllll the time.

Still, I LOVE the dainty's. Not really the others, like you said. I do like the fry though, they're adorable. I also saw a panda Cory that I wanted to get, but getting the two dainty's was 2 cents cheaper than the panda. lol
Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #27 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I already know how your tank is stocked, I've seen one of your other threads.

Have you ever tested your water? (I bet you will claim you have)

And how do you know your fish are happy?
I know my fish are happy because I live with them and I know what they're behavior is and I've seen it change before.

And actually, yes, I have tested the water. I tested it yesterday when I went to my lfs. Would you like the readings?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
If you read the link that Lil provided...
Oooh I did? Where?

lol

But yes, that's the one thing I hate about this forum is that people bash things when they are said publicly like a stocking list. Not only that they keep repeating the points that have been already brought up. I get that we all want people to succeed with their tanks and yes older fishkeepers generally know what will work and what won't work but you have to keep in mind that it was never stated how long Kiara has been fishkeeping, at least not that I saw so you can't automatically 'assume' that they are an amateur that's just not fair.

But again, I understand we all just want to help out, but remember there's another human being on the other end of this line and just keep things courteous please
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #29 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Oooh I did? Where?

lol

But yes, that's the one thing I hate about this forum is that people bash things when they are said publicly like a stocking list. Not only that they keep repeating the points that have been already brought up. I get that we all want people to succeed with their tanks and yes older fishkeepers generally know what will work and what won't work but you have to keep in mind that it was never stated how long Kiara has been fishkeeping, at least not that I saw so you can't automatically 'assume' that they are an amateur that's just not fair.

But again, I understand we all just want to help out, but remember there's another human being on the other end of this line and just keep things courteous please
Now you hush! I fixed I ... xD

But, I agree. I could have been fishkeeping for 10 years and it wouldn't matter. My friend has been fishkeeping for over 50 years, yet he got jumped on and told to change EVERYTHING when he posted the stocking of his tanks. His tanks are gorgeous! But, he stopped going onto forums after being attacked so often. What happened to the friendly forums?

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
I'm so sorry! I got you mixed up with Feng.
Haha that's okay ^_^ I was just think "wow! i really am lilninja! I don't even remember half of my posts apparently!" lmao