Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #1 
mlewis

Unhappy Sick Betta!!!

Hello,

I'm new here and actually am seeking information to help my two year old's Betta fish. I have had it for several months now and for the last couple weeks he seems to be getting progressively worse and I am not sure what to do. I think I may not be properly taking care of him, I am doing what they told me at the pet store, but I have a feeling they gave me bad information. First, let me tell you what's wrong and then I'll tell you how we've been taking care of him up till now. He hasn't been eating for about a week. He has been lethargic and the first thing I noticed besides that is that it looks like something is wrong with it's mounth like it is deformed or like something took a bite out of it. So, I thought, in my naivity, he hurt his mouth, he can't eat, now what do I do. Now, his fins look like they are dissolving and one has gotten redder than before. In the limited research I've done this afternoon, it sounds like fin rot, but I didn't see anything about it affecting his mouth, so I am not sure if that's what is going on. My nephew suggested maybe I over chlorinated him, I don't know. So, he is in a 3 gallon tank, no filter. They told me at the store not to get a filter becasue it stresses Bettas, so I didn't. There is no heater, again, they didn't tell me I needed one. We have been changing his water about once a week, but we have been doing a complete water change, again, as the store told me to do. He was eating Betta pellets. The water conditioner we got last had a mistake in the measuring cup and we think we have been putting too much in and then we didn't let it sit long enough before adding the fish back. We were netting him, putting him in a small bowl, cleaning the tank and putting him back.
So, I guess first, is there anything I can do to save him, any medications, where do I get them. And, second, should we be taking care of him differently. I'm sorry I'm so clueless, but I really want to save him if I can. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you,
Miranda
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #2 
onefish2fish

welcome to the forum.
over clorinated? you want to DE-chlorinate the water which i believe is what you mean however you have added too much dechlorinator?
first off bettas are warm water fish originating from china abundant in rice patties. your going to need a heater and thermometer. keep the tank about 78-82F
filters do stress them as they do not like alot of flow, however there are some filters that work or some that are small enough that you can turn down the flow rate. filters are not an alternate to cleaning the tank, they basically are a place to grow benificial bacteria and filter pads should be "swished" in old tank water when they are overflowing, if it is a HOB (hang on back) filter, when it happens you will know exactly what im talkinga about. filter pads changed only when they are literally falling apart
changing 100% of the water is causing major stress on the fish, prob. the root of causing fin rot. in the future change out 10-20% of the water WITH the fish still in the tank. just gravel vaccum alittle section of the gravel, match the water your replacing with similiar temperature and add declorinator per directions on the bottle. it shouldnt take much.
google "fishless cycle" and if your still having trouble understanding please advise.
betta fix or melafix or something along those lines
your going to want to invest in a good test kit. liquid test kits are more accurate and last longer then test strips. API makes a decent one called "master test kit" which go for $25-35 in stores and about $15-20 online.
regardless of which you choose your going to want tests for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,pH
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #3 
veganchick

some type of fungus, but it could be fatel so he needs treatment RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!( trust me I have experienced this)
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote