Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #11 
Stone

Killed off duckweed? that takes talent, lol duckweed and javamoss are like herpies once you put them in your tank you can never get rid of them
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #12 
Skyewillow

I still blame our water lol it's really hard
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #13 
Stone

How hard is your water, ours is pretty bad as well, we have learned a few tricks
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #14 
Skyewillow

um... test strip said "HOLY DANG!!".....8.4
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #15 
Stone

well this is all depending on tank sizes and experimenting on your part, first driftwood can lower ir a bit but not really all that much,peatmoss in your filter will help as well, butfor those to be effective it depends on your KH/buffer, what you can do which is easier in smaller tanks is buy some distilled water, distilled water is usually slightly acidic, and will help get rid of the buffer, like when you do a water change of 25% or less use distilled water, it will take some time to figure out a good percentage of distilled to use but it will help lower you ph and get rid of the buffer where peatmoss and driftwood can actually make a difference, takes some trial and error, and of course you might want to start smaller say a 10% distilled mix because like with all water chemistry changing it too fast can result in killing fish, but ours was higher than yours we have it at 7.4 or so now you can test it out in an empty tank and see what works best, and I will flat out say not to use any of them chemical products on the market, they way we did it is more or less natural, then there is always getting an R/O system in your house which I have thought about