Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 
Sylerwin

Tumor?

A few days ago I found this bump on my betta. It seems to be under his skin, not a sore or anything. I've done a little bit of research, and it's sounding like a tumor.

His tank mates are African Dwarf Frogs and Cory Catfish. I also have a lot of live plants.

Is there a way to treat for a tumor, if it is in fact a tumor, that won't harm his tank mates?

Some research has shown that there is no treatment, and he'll probably live a few unhappy months, unless I hit him with a hammer. (Yes, somebody said to hit the fish with a hammer or run him over to put him out of his misery. I CANNOT do this.)

So, does anyone else believe it is a tumor, or have any other more hopeful ideas?
Attached Images

Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It does look like a tumor to me as well.

The only thing you can do is make him comfortable. You can use Epsom salt to help relieve fluids from him. I'm not sure exactly what dosage, I know .25 teaspoons per gallon is what I keep my DT at because he has severe constipation issues so I would think it'd be the same for this guy. I'll PM someone about this to see what can be done.

I'm not sure how salt will affect the frogs though so we'll see.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 
Kiara1125

Could be a cyst. My boyfriend had a betta that would constantly get a cyst in one spot, but it never seemed to affect him. He lived with it for quite a while, but his death wasn't caused by the cyst. I would listen to lilninja though. She gives excellent advice. :P
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww thanks

Actually could be a cyst too. You know, I really don't know the difference, well I know the difference, but just the looks. I did think that cysts were generally smaller though? I do know they can grow and go away whereas tumors stay around.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

Yep. I would guess tumor though. The cyst that his HM had was smaller and never grew that big. It was on his side in the same spot though.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Right that makes sense. So I'm sticking with Tumor for now not that that's anything to smile about, still tough for this poor fishy!

I do know that you can use a low dosage of Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate 100% pure no additives or scent) and it's fine for plants and stuff but I'm not sure the effect it would have on the frogs as I said before. I know it will be fine for all the fish if you wanted to treat the tank but I'm tentative with those frogs and any salts/medications.

But yes there is nothing you can do for a tumor (except drain the liquids but that takes expertise skill and know how) but make him comfortable until he passes. Sometimes they can live a while with a tumor just fine but other's will die quicker.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 
Kiara1125

I honestly wouldn't test the epsom salt with the frogs. I haven't heard anything about it, but it just seems like it wouldn't mix well. You know?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah. I'm no expert on frogs by any means but I wouldn't use any salts or medications on them unless I knew for sure.

However if the OP wants to take the Betta out of that tank and make a separate living home for him then that could work and then just keep the therapeutic dosage of Epsom in with him. Or visa versa, move the frogs and cat fish out.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 
Kiara1125

It would probably be less stressful if just the betta was moed. A separate tank [or even maybe a 1g bowl?] and just get treated there.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm not sure of the effect of Epsom on the others, either.....

I would cover the top of the tank with plastic food wrap (Saran wrap). Be sure to leave several inches of air. This will increase the humidity level and make it easier for him to breathe.

What's the size of the tank?
What's the water temp?
How often do you do water changes and what percentage of the water do you change each time?

As others have suggested, I would use Epsom salt to draw out any fluids. I would gradually increase the dosage over several days. I don't know how large the tank is, so I'll provide numbers based on a 1 gal hospital tank.

1. Put some of tank water in a cup. Add 0.5 teaspoon Epsom salt per gal. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved. Pour this back into the tank. (This will provide a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt/gal in the tank.)

2. Wait 30-60 minutes. Then repeat the above procedure. (Total dosage is now 1 teaspoon Epsom salt/gal.)

3. Tomorrow: Repeat the above procedures. (This will take it to a dosage of 1.5tsp/gal, and then to 2tsp/gal.)

4. Prepare a "treatment solution." Mix 3 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of water. Add conditioner. Stir/shake until the salt is completely dissolved. Use this treatment solution to do 50% water changes every other day. He can stay in this solution for 10-14 days, if needed.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-14-2013 at 02:17 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote