Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1 
Bettarach1990

Exclamation Help Me

My poor Little Alex. He is a Male I've had him for about 2-3 months now he is full grown. After fighting with swim bladder he then got cloudy eyes just last week and now thats gone (i used betta revive) now i noticed this morning he is like 'panting' and on his belly between his fins hes BLEEEDING! i dont know why, he has nothing rough in his tank and its just him. He hasnt ate in 2 days (by his choice) and not even a pea which is his favorite thing. I changed his water 3 days ago and its not cold. Please help me save my Alex.
Bettarach1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #2 
Bettarach1990

Exclamation

He also wont stop flapping his fins (arms as i call them)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Can you fill out the sticky at the top of the Betta Diseases and Emergencies forum? It will tell us important information we need to determine what may be happening.

ETA: It says "Please Answer as Many of These Question...." that's the one you want.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi, I'm posting the form below to make it easier for you. Please fill out what you can. Leave blank anything you don't have answers for.

Also, can you post any photos? They can be very helpful to people trying to determine what's wrong.

------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #5 
Bettarach1990

I dont have a picture at this with me at work but i will post one when i get home but he looks healthy with color and his eye cleared up.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78'
Does your tank have a filter? no but the water is clean
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No there is light bulb that helps keeps the tank water regualted
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? hes alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medley (wont eat pellets), 2 days a week 2-3 blood workms and 1 pea a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday very little except wednesdays and the weekends (Office Fish)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week to a week and a halfWhat percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% it doesnt seem to bother him at all he seems happy
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add water conditior (Betta Bowl Plus) even though I use bottle room tempature water, also 1 drop of Betta Revive.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No still bright and beautiful
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Doesnt really swim too much just sits there and flaps his fins (arms) and pants fast. Hasnt ate anything since last wednesday 5/5/2013.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning when i came to work I was sick yesterday so my co-worker tryed to feed him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i dont know what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Swim bladder, Cloudy Eyes
How old is your fish (approximately)? ive had him for 2-3 months and he was already full grown.

Also his last water change was Friday.

The blood stoped a while ago after a blood clot came out. He is still panting and flapping his fins.

Last edited by Bettarach1990; 06-11-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #6 
Bettarach1990

In my album is a picture of Alex as of today
Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

In a 1.5 g you need way more water changes. I do once a week in a 10 g, and twice a week in a 2.5 g. I'd do at least twice a week, if not three times. Your water quality is probably poor, which can cause serious illness or stress. Especially, with flakes which really mess up water quality.

The light bulb, is it always on? Because when it's off the water temperature is going to drop and fluctuations in the water temperature can stress in fish as well causing illness. If the bulb is always on, the fish will stress because they have no eyelids so he can't sleep. He'll be sleep deprived and then become sick. Having a heater to regulate the temp is really the best way to go, and turning the light off at night is important.

I would stop the pea, as I have heard it can cause health problems. Bettas are insectivores, and so insect and meat based foods are what they need. Maybe, sub frozen brine shrimp for the pea. That will get him a good source of fiber. Are the bloodworms frozen or freeze dried? Freeze dried can cause health issues too, because they bloat up inside the fish. I quit feeding freeze dried, and all my fish have been much healthier.

So at this point we are just dealing with quick breathing and quickly moving fins correct?

ETA: After going and looking at your picture he looks stressed to me. That could explain the symptoms you are experiencing. Or he could also be experiencing nitrate or ammonia poisoning.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 06-11-2013 at 06:13 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on NeptunesMom post.

An unfiltered 1.5 gal tank should have at least one 100% and one 50% water change per week. Even though the water looks OK, there can still be high levels of bacteria, toxins and ammonia. You won't see any of these in the water, but they'd still be there.

I don't see the blood on his fins in the photo. However, this is probably because he's red. Blood on the fins can be a type of ammonia poisoning. The simplest ways to treat it is to start by keeping him in warm, clean water. (If it continues to get worse once he's been in clean water, then we can tell you what to do next.)

Do you know how to do a 100% water change, and acclimate (reintroduce) him into the tank? There are many ways to do this. Here's one:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

To make it easier for people reviewing this thread, I'm copying/pasting the photo of Alex, from the OP's album:

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #9 
Bettarach1990

Yes i keep the light bulb on because he stays ina cold office but its not a bright LED bulb it has a tint on it. but im deffently going to look into getting a heater today after work. Really the pea can be bad? the pea is what really helped me get rid of the swim bladder he had because its high in fiber so it had him going to the bathroom and he LOVES the pea but im going to stop it right away.The blood worms were freeze dried but i just threw those out i will look for frozen blood worms also tonight. Yes quick breathing and no stop moving of the fins. He is still doing it this morning and not eating at all still. Tomorrow will be a full week he hasnt ate. I will be doing a 100% water change this morning and float him so he can get used to the tempature. The blood was dripping from his belly between the 1st fin by his head and his second fin. I didnt get a picture in time but he bled a blood clot out and it stoped since then. I will keep you guys updated on him through the day. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Was the clot from a bleeding fin, or did it come from his anus?

Feeding peas is somewhat controversial. Some people feed an occasional bit of pea if their betta is constipated. Other people feel that since peas aren't part of their regular diet, it can cause digestive problems.

Foods that are high in grains can be constipating. My personal opinion is to look at the ingredients in the food that you're feeding him. If the food has a lot of grains or starches (soybean, corn, wheat, gluten, rice, etc), and he's dealing with digestive issues of any type (bloating, constipation, swim bladder issues, etc) -- then consider switching to a higher-protein diet.

BettaMin Tropical Medley contains a lot of these: Fish meal, ground brown rice, torula dried yeast, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, dried potato products, dehulled soybean meal, fish oil, soybean oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (vitamin C). Artificial colors including red 3. Ethoxyquin as a preservative. So you may want to investigate other foods.

You said he doesn't like pellets. Have you tried New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets? These are the two most frequently recommended foods on this forum. They contain quality proteins, so they tend to cause fewer digestive issues.

If he really doesn't like pellets, Omega One Betta Buffet also comes in a flake form. So that might be something worth looking into.

Also, my personal opinion regarding freeze dried bloodworms is that I feed them as an occasional snack to my guys. I don't feed them as the main diet, and I don't feed them often. But, personally, I don't see an issue with offering an occasional freeze dried bloodworm or two to a healthy betta that has no digestive issues.

I also don't like the frozen foods simply because they make a mess in the tank. They are good and nutritious though. You may want to try this right before a scheduled water change, in case it gets messy. (It may work fine for you. I'm just giving my personal opinion.)

Another thing that I've done is given my guys mosquito larvae. This is their natural diet. During the summer, I can sometimes find some. I rinse them with some conditioned water.

Tags
bleeding, emergency, not eating, sick betta