Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #11 
NeptunesMom

I have always been told "no to peas" as peas can negatively affect their digestive systems. If you read the sticky on diseases at the top it even says do not feed a pea for SDB. I used frozen daphnia for my SBD case and it worked perfectly. It acts as a laxative (along with Epsom Salt, which I also used). I always have some daphnia in the freezer now in case someone looks a little bloated. It gets them moving quickly. After my SBD fish (I rescued him that way) I started adding fiber into everyone's diet with frozen brine shrimp.

I used to use freeze dried once a week as a treat, but several members on here who I highly regard because of their years of experience told me to stop. So, I stopped. I did a little research of my own, and there are people who say it is linked to SDB. It could be only in fish with certain digestive issues, but I'd rather not take the chance.

As for the frozen foods, if you use an eye dropper it shouldn't be messy. In fact, I think it keeps my tank cleaner. I just cut off a really tiny piece of the frozen block, let it thaw, and then suck up a few pieces of whatever it is I'm feeding. Get the fish's attention and then squeeze the few pieces into the water. If the fish doesn't eat them, they don't get anymore, if they do I get another few. My fish usually have it eaten so quickly I never even see it enter the water. They attack it as soon as it comes out the end of the dropper. The bloodworms are super easy, because they are big enough part can easily dangle out of the dropper end, and you can let the fish come and grab it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #12 
Bettarach1990

If you look at his picture its the first fin (closet to head) and the middle (right under his belly) the blood clot came from right between those 2 fins. The blood came from his actual body not a fin. It was really strange. He still swims just not as much still breathing hard and fins still flapping after a water change and also still wont eat at all. I have Betta bites pellets at the moment and before I had BettaMin pellets. Could he just be old in age? He use to be a piggy eater.

Last edited by Bettarach1990; 06-12-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more information
Bettarach1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #13 
NeptunesMom

Are you sure it wasn't pooing? Was there actually bloody streaks entering the water? Or just something hanging down?

It shouldn't be old age if you've only had him 2 mos. 3-5 years seems to be the average, with some making it up to 7 or older.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #14 
Bettarach1990

I believe it was blood because it came out wet and didnt go to the bottom of the tank it leaked into the water and streaked then disappeared. Ive never seen anything like it before. Where exactly would Alexs anus be located? Between the middle and last fin?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #15 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettarach1990 View Post
I believe it was blood because it came out wet and didnt go to the bottom of the tank it leaked into the water and streaked then disappeared. Ive never seen anything like it before. Where exactly would Alexs anus be located? Between the middle and last fin?
It's going to be in front of the anal fin. The anal fin is the long one that runs along the bottom of the fish. Which is where it sounds like the "blood" came from. That was why I was wondering if it was poo.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Here's a picture that might help. His anus is at the end of the intestines. Near the pink dot on the photo.

LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #17 
xxRho

He could have had some slight damage to his lower GI tract or even to his anus. (I'm not saying permanent damage because I don't know)
But if any animal, human, fish, bird, dog, whatever, is under a constant laxative effect there will usually be some where and tear (and possibly other issues but this is just in relation to blood) that can cause "bleeding from the anus" (the blood may not be directly from the anus but slightly further up the GI but still fairly close if it looks bright red.

Also I use freeze dry but soak them before you give them to your betta to prevent it ballooning in his gut which can lead to problems eg constipation, intestinal blockage, electrolyte imbalances (because it expands by getting water from the betta's body), etc
Think eating dried pasta as a main meal for every meal - not pretty!
So you don't have to give up the freeze dry food, you could keep them as a back up, just make sure to feed them sparingly and when you do soak them before you give him one (that's another thing I only give one freeze dry worm at a time/per day).
Freeze dry can be good because it is the least likely food to carry disease/parasites. Where as live foods can carry diseases such as salmonella as well as fish diseases/parasites. So there are always pros and cons to the different options.

Also does he have plenty of hiding spots?
Silk plants would be good for your situation also a leaf hammock can be good if the fish feels too weak to always surface (and it is cute to watch them perch on it )
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #18 
Bettarach1990

Exclamation

He has a silk plant in the conoer in which he hides behind and a chest he likes to swim around (when he was better). He seems to me like he is still having trouble breathing still hasnt ate its been a week and a day exactly he now floats on his side all the time. He isnt bloated at all. I plan on doing another 100% water change today. Should i put a drop of betta revive in which i have been trying to treat him with but it isnt working. What should I do im starting to lose hope.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but increasing the humidity in the tank can help him breathe more easily.

There are a few ways to do this. For example, you can cover the top of the tank with plastic food wrap (Saran/Glad wrap, etc). Be sure to leave several inches of air so he can breathe.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, emergency, not eating, sick betta