Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1 
darkangel

heater question?

Hi,

I just recently got a betta fish. My tank is 1.5 gallons and I read that a betta needs to be kept in really warm water like 78f and stuff.

my water is 74f, is it too cold for a betta? My betta seems to be doing pretty good but if it needs to be warmer, I will try to get a heater. Can some suggest one that works well?

I have plants in the tank, rocks and a ornament thing.

thanks for all your help.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #2 
shellieca

Yes you will need a heater for your Bettas long term health. I don't know the shape of your tank, my preference is Aqueon. It can be mounted vertical, diagonal or horizontal & can be completely submerged, it is also adjustable which is, IMO, ideal.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #3 
Briz

And even smaller adjustable heater is the Hydor Theo 25w. Shorter than Aqueon's, so should fit in your 1.5 gallon.

I think your betta will be fine in 74 degree water, but it's not ideal. Also, the other reason we use heaters is to help keep the temperature constant. Fluctuations can be quite harmful for a betta!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #4 
darkangel

thanks for replying.

My tank is a shaped like a bucket, I will look into a heater. Does it matter what watts it is? I looked up a hydor theo heaters and they come in many watts.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #5 
eemmais

For a 1.5 gallon, I would get an adjustable 25W heater.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 
tngirl92

A 25W will probably boil him alive in a tank that small. You need a 10 watt or smaller. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I use a 7.5W heater. I recommend either of these:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I use the first one and even though it's not adjustable, it never has raised my tank above 82 degrees in the three months I've had it. It does great! In your smaller tank, you would want to buy a glass thermometer from the pet store to hang on the side and monitor it closely. If you notice the water getting too hot, unplug the heater. It's that simple!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #7 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
A 25W will probably boil him alive in a tank that small. You need a 10 watt or smaller. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I use a 7.5W heater. I recommend either of these:

I use the first one and even though it's not adjustable, it never has raised my tank above 82 degrees in the three months I've had it. It does great! In your smaller tank, you would want to buy a glass thermometer from the pet store to hang on the side and monitor it closely. If you notice the water getting too hot, unplug the heater. It's that simple!
This is not true. It will take some playing around, but if you test the heater in a bucket first and monitor the temperature, you will find out where to set it to keep the temperature constant. I have 25 watt heaters in both my 2.5 and 3 gallon tanks, and a 50 watt in my 5.5 gallon tank. I had to mess with the setting to get them perfect, but my tanks never get above 80 degrees unless I intentionally set the heaters higher.

You definitely do need a thermometer! And a glass one is the way to go, the strip thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. I have one on the side of my 2.5 gallon (leftover from over a year ago) and it frequently gives me inaccurate readings of 75 degrees when the temp is 80!

I would definitely recommend an adjustable heater. I used to have a TopFin 7.5 watt heater and it was horrible. I had to monitor the fish constantly and I worried the temperature would shoot up, so I was forever running in to check on my fish, waking up anxiously in the middle of the night, etc. I never saw it go above 84, but that was because I would always unplug the heater and let the tank cool down, but that's not good for a betta. Constant temperatures are where they thrive. :)

best of luck to you!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #8 
Lights106

Ditto to an adjustable one. Biggest pain in my rear are the non-adjustable ones. It's just easier to spend a few extra dollars now and then find out later you should have gotten the adjustable. I have 2 non adj. and I've had to replace both since they don't keep the temp high enough.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #9 
darkangel

Thanks!

I'll look into either a elite 25w or hydor theo 25w.
I have a thermometer, my water is between 72f-74f so I think I'll get one to warm it up a little.