Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #1 
PeetaTheBetta

Leaving for 2 weeks!

I am leaving for two weeks, and my whole family is going, so there is no one to do water changes! I do have an automatic feeder so that is not a problem. I am worried that the water quality is going to hurt my betta. What should I do?

I have a 10 gal planted tank.
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #2 
keepsmiling

Do you have a family member or good friend who lives nearby? I would not suggest the automatic feeder, unless you know for a fact it works. If the tank is established, and planted heavily, just do a 75% water change before you leave. If you just had someone come in every other day and give a small amount of food he would be ok. Make sure to be specific and show them how much to feed{feed less than normal, a very minimum amount} This is your responsibility towards keeping any animal in your family. Your family should understand as well.There may also be someone in your area, that does maintenance that would be willing to come in a few times while you are gone. Worst case scenario, drain the tank down to 50% or less, and move it to a friend or other family member's home while you are gone.Or take your chances. Do not feed a whole bunch before you leave thinking that will help. Your betta is only going to eat what he can, the rest could foul the water. If the tank has been set up awhile, there may be organisms he could feed on while you are gone. Put your lights on a timer, and minimize the amount they come on, just to keep the plants alive. If the plants start to die, it could seriously injure him or worse. Good luck.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #3 
keepsmiling

Another option might be to set him up quickly in a smaller container, and have a friend or even your favorite pet store might be willing to change the water and feed him. Show the person who will care for him{If they have not kept fish} how much to feed, how much water to change, and how to dechlorinate the water.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeetaTheBetta View Post
I am leaving for two weeks, and my whole family is going, so there is no one to do water changes! I do have an automatic feeder so that is not a problem. I am worried that the water quality is going to hurt my betta. What should I do?

I have a 10 gal planted tank.
You should be more worried about the automatic feeder - if something is going to go wrong and foul your water, THAT'S going to be it. You do not need to feed the fish while you are away. Assuming you have a filter and your tank is cycled, you do not have to do anything or worry about anything - just do a water change before you go and leave it be - the tank and fish will be as you left it when you return.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #5 
Otterfun

I am currently away for 2 weeks.

This is what I do:
Sitter:
1g Kritter Keeper (feed once per week, 50% WC per day, provided 1g of dechlorinated water with pet sitter)

2.5g MBT filtered, planted with a pet sitter (feed once per week, 50% WC per week, provided PRIME with sitter to treat water for WC)

Home:
5g filtered, planted (feed once per week, 90% WC before I left)

2.5 filtered, planted (feed once per week, 50% WC per week, provided 3g of treated water for WC)

FRom hindsight, I would have put them in a cycled 10g but did not have time to start the tank, so decided to divide and conquer. I owe a lot of favors with my petsitters. They me videos and photos to show me that my fishies are alive and doing well.

Reason for feeding once/week:
to reduce the amount of waste and the ammonia that will be produced. Also, they can last for more than a week without food, so it is fine.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Exactly right on the feeding - thats the biggest thing that can go wrong, whether you use a machine or have someone do it. It takes several months for a fish to starve to death - 2 weeks is nothing.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 
keepsmiling

I am glad you all have replied. I was going to suggest he would be fine without food, or very little. This is good info, thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #8 
Rana

When I have to leave my tank for a week, I like to do small water changes daily the week before (10-20%), and then one large one right before I leave (50-75%). I feel like this gets the water as clean as it can be without damaging the cycle, and then when I get back I do another large water change. Since you've got plants, if you tank is cycled you should have no problems avoiding a dangerous build-up.

I've heard that bettas can go for as much as a month without food and while I'm not willing to risk that long, two weeks should be fine. If you can set the automatic feeder to give out tiny amounts or only feed every few days, that would be more than enough for two weeks.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I feel like this gets the water as clean as it can be without damaging the cycle
water changes have absolutely no impact on the cycle.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #10 
Rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
water changes have absolutely no impact on the cycle.
I always figured that keeping water too clean would deprive the bacteria of the nutrients they need and cause a crash or mini-cycle? I mean, I know that the bacteria doesn't live in the water, so that was my theory anyway. Then again the only times I've had crashes have been when I completely disassembled my tank, so I may be completely wrong :3
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote