Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just a Marimo Moss Ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Safe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has very bloated sides that don't look like she's eggy. And on the one side, it looks like the bloating has created a sore on the side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't changed yet. She's still swimming and social.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? She's never been ill before, but when I first got her it wasn't uncommon for the hood to have an coating of a film of some kind, and now that has returned. I didn't notice anything different until I noticed the film in the tank.

I just noticed that Duck has these really distended sides, and I think it just started today. It looks like little balls handing on both sides of her body. I sit at my desk when I'm at my laptop and she's right next to me, so I see her quite a bit. I did a 50% water change last night.

Unfortunately my camera died, but this is the best I could get from my phone. I think the overhead view was the best look at her sides.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #2 
tngirl92

Hmm, is it possible she is just constipated? How many pellets are you feeding per day?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is it possible to get a better picture of her, the sore, and the balls on her?

Do the balls looks fluffy, like cotton?

When you view her from overhead, are her scales lying flat or raised like a pinecone? Here's an example of what pineconing looks like:

In the meantime, I'd start her on Epsom salt. This should be pure magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.) It's available at supermarkets and pharmacies, but not pet stores.
  1. Put some of her current tank water in a cup. Add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved. Pour this back into her tank. (This will provide a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt/gal in the tank.)
  2. Wait 30-60 minutes. Then repeat the above procedure. (Total dosage is now 1 teaspoon Epsom salt/gal.)
  3. Tomorrow: Repeat the above procedures. (This will take her to a dosage of 1.5tsp/gal, and then to 2tsp/gal.)
  4. Prepare a "treatment solution." Mix 3 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of water. Add conditioner. Stir/shake until the salt is completely dissolved. Use this treatment solution for her regular water changes. Keep her in this solution for 10-14 days, if needed.

Also, you can put some plastic food wrap over the top of her tank. This will increase the humidity in the tank, making it easier for her to breathe. Be sure to leave at least several inches of air.

If she has trouble reaching the surface, you can lower the water level in her tank. (But if you do this, you'll need to adjust the amount of Epsom salt you're adding. If you're not sure how to do this, ask and we'll explain it.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #4 
titusthebetta

Thanks, I'm gonna try some epsom salt with her. She's still swimming normally, but her bloating hasn't gone down. Although I saw her doing the strangest thing today. I saw her trying to eat some of the gravel or something buried in the gravel in her tank, and she's also been inspecting the gravel methodically.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote