Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 
EdgyWolf

Unhappy Well, it's official...

I can never have ghost shrimp thanks to my betta fish. My previous betta fish used to annihilated them and beheaded them. And now Buckshot has done the same for the two I had. I had my hopes seeing as I had a few good hiding spots for them and Buckshot didn't bother them whatsoever. But I guess I was wrong. Poor little guys. I tried. Guess I wont be having any sort of bottom feeders for my tank. I wish I could though.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #2 
jona31

that sucks sorry to hear that
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #3 
tngirl92

You could try a snail. I got one for my fish, and he harassed it pretty badly, so we moved it to my boyfriend's tank with his betta fish. Marigold (the snail) is doing great so far with her new tank mate! She's in a 10 gallon now with one betta, so she has plenty of hiding places.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #4 
lissienen

It depends on how big your tank is. My betta's never did well with shrimp either - they always go ahead and eat them either right ahead or within a few days. But they do excellent with both cory catfish and the smaller varities of plecos (I like the albino bristlenose personally, but my co-workers as a rule seem to have better luck with the regular variety, saying they're hardier). So if your tank is big enough you can always try them. They're usually a bit too big for the betta's to just harass and eat up. Although with the cories you do have to keep in mind the need for space for a school - but they're really awesome to watch swim around.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 
weapondrift

Ill post more later but this may be why some of my shrimp died. At least he had good taste?
weapondrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

In a larger tank like 15+ he could totally have bottom feeders, cory's and shrimp are vastly different. My girls never bother my cory's at all, in fact it's the pleco who beats them up lol But shrimp are just tasty snacks for Betta's so that's why they go after them but they won't harm the bottom feeders
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #7 
jennesque

They're a bit more expensive, but you could try amanos. They seem to be a bit larger. I had two with my betta and they were fine, and also, in a separate tank, I had a Gourami who ate ghost shrimp like they were candy but when I got amanos instead he left them alone.

They seem to poop more or at least more visibly than ghost shrimp do in my experience.. So.. Beware of that. Maybe they're eating more in the tank though?
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Amanos are algae eater's, all algae eaters poop more lol And they get up to about 2 inches and yes they defend themselves so that's why they're good with Betta's.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #9 
jennesque

Ahh.. I knew they were better cleaners than ghosties. Didn't know ghosties didn't eat algae as well. Of course, I only started having a small algae problem recently when I got rid of my floating plants, which makes sense. Those amanos have always pooped in ridiculous amounts lol.

Although I just recently got rid of my last amano, I didn't see them making much progress with the algae, but maybe I'll see it grow more now that they're gone.

I plan on going back to ghost shrimp.
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 
EdgyWolf

Ghost shrimp were kinda my only option bere because I only have a 2.5 gallon tank. I mean maybe I can try a snail but I here more bad than good things about snails and no one seems to actually like them minus the few on here that love theres and/or breed them. I dont really have options unfortunately.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote