Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #1 
Saphira101

Exclamation Betta is lethargic and won't eat, please help!

Hey guys.

You may know that I recently took in a delta tail betta with popeye from Petco. I've been treating him using epsom salts, and he was taking it well for the first few days. Yesterday, he started hanging out in the corner a bit, and had less energy. Today he's really lethargic, and won't eat any food tha I give him.

I'm really worried, because this is exactly how my other sick Petco boy (Tesla) that I had a while back acted before he died.

Could it possibly be the early symptoms of dropsy? He has popeye (which I'm treating), but his belly is naturally gray so I can't tell if he has the other early dropsy symptom. His scales are not raised.

What size is your tank? 2 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 82F
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day at three pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? For his popeye treatment I have been changing it every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? For his treatment, 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? SeaChem Prime and API Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't really. Though when I got him, his eyes were swollen and cloudy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He hangs out at the top of the tank in one spot, and is really lethargic. He will not eat, and won't really move unless I stick my finger in the water near him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've been doing 1 tsp. of epsom salt for his popeye, but nothing other than that.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? As far as I know, no. But he has had popeye since I got him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Sorry, no idea. He's fully grown though.

Here's a video of him from yesterday, he has become more lethargic since then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4UGnPLM1A

I can take another video if necessary.

Thanks for your help,
Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #2 
tngirl92

The epsom salts will definitely help with swelling, but it is my understanding that popeye is an indicator of some other bacterial infection. I think I would treat for a bacterial infection with an antibiotic, like a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. The maracyn is my go-to when I suspect an infection, but there are other broad-spectrum antibiotics on the market you can try. If you are worried, ditch the epsom salts and treat aggressively. Whatever is causing the popeye is probably not good, especially if he has stopped eating.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 
Saphira101

Okay, I'll remove the ES today. I already have Maracyn 2, so I could go buy Maracyn very soon.

I hope Forte's gonna be okay, he is not looking good at all.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Personally, I would keep using the Epsom salt. 1 tsp/gal is actually a low dosage. Epsom salt will not interfere with medications. It will help draw off the fluid from the eye, even if it doesn't cure the problem.

You can combine BOTH Maracyn and Maracyn 2, and use them together. (See the medication instructions for more info.)

Maracyn 2 contains a gram negative antibiotic. Maracyn contains a gram positive antibiotic.

(If he doesn't improve after one treatment cycle, I would switch to a different antibiotic. Ie: Stop the Maracyns, and use something like Triple Sulfa or Furan 2 instead.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 
Saphira101

Thanks LBF. I haven't removed the ES yet, glad I didn't. :)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #6 
tngirl92

Definitely. I completely agree with LBF, sorry I did not make that clear that you can continue using the epsom salts. A combination of all three of the products she suggested will be very therapeutic for your fish. If you have some API StressCoat, throw a small dose of that in there, too. The aloe in it is quite therapeutic for betta. With the antibiotics and other treatments, he should get better in no time! Good luck!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #7 
Saphira101

Thanks guys. Forte's health is going down fast, despite my doing all that you suggested. He seems to be having swim bladder troubles, because whenever he tries to swim, he floats back to the top on his side. I honestly don't think he's going to make it.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you have Kanaplex or tetracycline?

Kanaplex treats internal and external issues. Tetacycline is for external, but I believe JadaBlu soaked food in it to treat internally.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #9 
Saphira101

Thanks again LBF. I don't have either of those things, but I don't think my parents are up for another trip through the I-5 bridge traffic to Petsmart. It's only been like 2 hours since I put the Maracyn and Maracn 2 in his water, so I think I'll just wait and see for now.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 
ellewar

Have you lowered his water to help with the swim bladder issue? Try to make him as comfortable as possible. Try to keep feeding him pellets.
ellewar is offline   Reply With Quote