Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #1 
Wynn

MoonSwimming?

My Betta which is new only had him 1 full day so far has been swiming backwards? Is this common? It looks like he is swimming against a current and losing but then he will suddenly stop and remain where he is, so it reminds me of the concept of moonwalking. I have a 10 gallon tank, so he has space :D.
Also I see him at times attacking the wall is this normal too? Is any of this cause for concern?

Oh one more thing, when I fed him this morning he took a long time to eat and spit the food out reate and so forth. Tonight though when I fed him he ate much faster but after he finished 3 pellets he spit like half a pellet out then re ate it. Is spitting food out normal?

Thanks for the advice in advance :D
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #2 
Skyr

I can't say anything for the swimming backwards, and I will say up front I'm also new at betta keeping.

Attacking the wall, he probably sees his reflection. Both of mine do the same. I covered the back of the tank on the outside with white paper and that has stopped one of them, the other still does so with the other walls so I'm still trying to think of what I can do for that..

The pellets might be too big for his mouth, spitting out is generally a sign for that. I swapped to a smaller pellet food when my first did the same.
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #3 
Kiara1125

Is he constantly doing it or just doing it to where it looks as if he's trying to back up away or out of something?
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #4 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Is he constantly doing it or just doing it to where it looks as if he's trying to back up away or out of something?
He isn't consitantly doing it. More like he is swimming around then it really looks like the current is pushing him but I know there isn't much of the current. He does this more often in the center of the tank. Like he will slow down, then start going bakwards then stop and carry on doing his thing. He does it near the wall a little bit too but that looks much more like he is turning around.
So what do you think?

@Skyr Thanks for the advice also :D
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #5 
Kiara1125

Hmm ... I'm not sure. Bettas find odd ways to entertain themselves. My female would carry around a single strand of java moss and it was always the same piece. xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #6 
Mr Degausser

Yeah, I agree. It's nothing to be concerned about. Bettas are generally looking for ways to be entertained. There are some bettas that surf the current of some of the stronger filters.
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A lighted tank in a darker room causes reflections they can see, and sometimes attack. White backing is better than dark to stop this.

Having a space between the tank and any wall will also help, especially if you can project some light in there.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #8 
Wynn

Thank you all for the advice :D
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #9 
TurtleBarb

Food spitting: a lot of fish will do it if the food morsel is too big or otherwise hard to swallow. They don't have hands, so the only way they can break food up is with chewing and spitting it out and sucking it in repeatedly. I soak my betta's pellets in a drop of tankwater until they're saturated and soft (10 minutes or more), and then cut them into tiny pieces that he doesn't need to break up himself. I put the little bits on the water surface right in front of him. I use the tip of a drinking straw that I cut into a tiny scoop. He sometimes takes the food right off the scoop, so I made sure the cut parts of the straw are smooth and won't cut his mouth. This method means very little wasted food gets into the water. I pause between pieces to see that he swallows them. When he spits a piece in and out a few times, I know he's full. When you soak pellets, you'll notice that they swell up several times bigger than when they're dry. Better that they swell up outside his stomach than inside. The potential for constipation is much greater when they eat dry pellets than when they eat saturated pellets.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #10 
Wynn

@ everyone thanks for the advice :D

I do have another food related question, since I have only had him a few days I have noticed rapid increase in how fast he eats, day one was ver slow, he spit them out re ate, it took him nearly a minture alone to find the last pellet. day 2 was slightly faster. But this mornin he was really chawing down, like I hink he ate about 7 pellets of terraBetta in less then 1 minute. The does says 4-6 is avarage. So is here a better method to know if he is not getting enouh food, or are betta just fast eatins, think maybe his first couple feedings were slower because of his new home?

Tags
betta swimming help