Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 
cdouglas93

Putting a price on fry

First some background. I currently have a bubble nest full of two day old hatched fry and have already had some offers. The father is a multi-colored crowntail while the mother is a royal blue veil tail.

Now I was wondering what I should price the offspring when it comes to selling them.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Wow, cool cdouglas93! I wish people offered for my frys too so I can be more motivated to raise them and do more water changes lol. However, breeding for new and exciting color and form has always motivated me most. Price is totally up to you. You can definitely try to take offers. Good luck and hope your fry grows up strong and healthy!
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #3 
cdouglas93

Well I was thinking $5 a fish but that's only because I don't want to be outrageously priced. I'm not really looking to make a profit though I really would like to get serious about it.
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #4 
Chard56

Crossing a CT with a VT is not going to result in the best of finnage. At best you may have some long Veiltail type Combtails and many inbetween finnage forms. Depending on their color and finnage you could get 7 or 8 dollars for the better ones and hope your local pet store will take some off your hands when all the better ones are sold. I have spawned Halfmoons with Crowntails and got some really interesting and pretty results. I've also gotten some funky looking ones I wouldn't sell to the local flea market. Some turn out looking cool and others are ratty looking. Here's some results you might expect.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #5 
trilobite

Id give them away for free
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #6 
Fenghuang

I don't want to discourage you, but with those colours and tail types in the parents, you probably will not get too many interesting fry that would stand out from the $2, $3, $4 fish (if they aren't on sale that is) from Petco and Petsmart.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #7 
lillyandquigly

That actually sounds pretty interesting, to me at least. I don't breed so as a buyer I would (if I could buy right now) say I would buy one for eight dollars. The color sounds interesting and the shaggy sort of tail would make me think, "Cool! Nobody else is going to have a betta like this one!"
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #8 
Myates

In my experience, people will pay for something they like/want, regardless of how the fins look. So if people are willing to spend $5 per fish + $15/$35 shipping for these fish, then she should go for it at that price. At least it finds the fish a home.

But in the future if the OP wants to find homes for more than a couple I would suggest a little research in fin types and combining them and what it takes :) If this was a spawn to help get the OP some experience in breeding, then that's fine - but in the future I would look into how to breed certain types, and what to breed to :) That way it will be much easier to find them homes to the people who are willing to spend all that money on a fish :)

As Chard showed - you will get a lot of sloppy fins and for color you will most likely get all blues with red wash.. basically be pet fish so the $5 would be the most I would charge for them to be honest.. which is fine, like I said, if someone really wants one they will pay it :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #9 
jibruno

if you get some awesome fish, sell them for what you think they're worth. 5-15 bucks depending on how rare or awesome they are. if they're boring basic fish that you can get at the pet store, try $1 or free? you could place them on aquabid.com or something like that and sell a group of them for a set price like 5 females for $10. That's what i used to do with the ones that i couldn't get rid of because they weren't exactly desired by true betta breeders/ keepers.
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote