Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #11 
mags2313

I saw some majoy swim bladder problems and lots of gill infection in a large goldfish tank at my local PetSmart...I just shook my head.. This store has like 100 tanks and in more than half there is at least 2 dead fish in each tank..
The employee's don't seem to know a whole lot most of the time either......
Their protocal for treating ick?? Taking the fish that have the spots out of the tank......
That's it! lol... horrible
mags2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Petsmart has an "infirmary" where they take sick fish. I took a betta I saw with swimbladder disorder to a person in the fish department and she was very concerned about it. She said she'd take care of it right away.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #13 
Arlie

Hi

Im am sad to read all these reports about Wallmart and the Pet co stores. Thank goodness our Walmart no longer keeps fish just fish supplies. On a positive note the Pet People store where I bought my male Betta (they were all in those little plastic cups then) has taken all their Bettas and places them in individual small glass fish bowls with some pretty stones at the bottom. The bowls are not hardly big enough for the fish to stay it once you get them home but at least it is an improvment and much more attractive to sell the Bettas.

I want to mention something I discovered about a Betta products producer. If you buy any products supplied by
Ocean Nutrition in the name of Atison (as in Atison's Betta Spa Botanic Water Conditioner) please visit this person's
website and read his section on "Select and raise a great FIGHTER. I was shocked when I did and won't be buying anything put out by this person in the future.
Here is just a sample of what he suggests:

2.3 Yok (an action when put a female into male's container)
To make a fighter more furious and aggressive is one of the most important part of this training method. If a fighter is not aggressive and furious, it will not bite hard and bites less often. Every betta has their own territory and will protect it for life. Therefore if one invade one's territory a fighting begin. I use a small healthy female put into a fighter's container. The fihghter will chase the female and finally it bites the female furiously. Take her out. This process may take a minute or just one and a half minute and we call this action "YOK"

www.atisonbetta.com

I will leave the rest to you to decide,

Arlie

Last edited by Arlie; 01-14-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #14 
veganchick

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
My Petsmart has an "infirmary" where they take sick fish. I took a betta I saw with swimbladder disorder to a person in the fish department and she was very concerned about it. She said she'd take care of it right away.
GREAT!! usuallt the employies are just uninformed. They mean no harm!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't understand why they can't at least train their employees on basic fish care. I guess they are just interested in sales. Yeah, my Petsmart is great. I went in to buy something for finrot once and the girl I talked to could have sold me a boatload of meds but she said to do frequent water changes and keep an eye on him.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #16 
KrisRogers

As an added note just last week I went to a Walmart and browsed through their fish all the tank where horrible. they all had some black moss/ mold growing in them and coming out of the filtration system and it was everywhere. Just horrible.
On another note my local PetSmart and Meijer are both good places tank are always clean etc. etc.
KrisRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I haven't checked out the rest of the fish tanks at my Meijers but the bettas sit in filthy, dirty water.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #18 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie View Post
Hi

Im am sad to read all these reports about Wallmart and the Pet co stores. Thank goodness our Walmart no longer keeps fish just fish supplies. On a positive note the Pet People store where I bought my male Betta (they were all in those little plastic cups then) has taken all their Bettas and places them in individual small glass fish bowls with some pretty stones at the bottom. The bowls are not hardly big enough for the fish to stay it once you get them home but at least it is an improvment and much more attractive to sell the Bettas.

I want to mention something I discovered about a Betta products producer. If you buy any products supplied by
Ocean Nutrition in the name of Atison (as in Atison's Betta Spa Botanic Water Conditioner) please visit this person's
website and read his section on "Select and raise a great FIGHTER. I was shocked when I did and won't be buying anything put out by this person in the future.
Here is just a sample of what he suggests:

2.3 Yok (an action when put a female into male's container)
To make a fighter more furious and aggressive is one of the most important part of this training method. If a fighter is not aggressive and furious, it will not bite hard and bites less often. Every betta has their own territory and will protect it for life. Therefore if one invade one's territory a fighting begin. I use a small healthy female put into a fighter's container. The fihghter will chase the female and finally it bites the female furiously. Take her out. This process may take a minute or just one and a half minute and we call this action "YOK"
www.atisonbetta.com

I will leave the rest to you to decide,

Arlie

That's awful!!!! I'm now so glad that I didn't buy food from that guy! I'll have to post that website to another forum where I belong where people advocate that food as good (good as in quality, not that they know this).

Anyway, yeah, my walmart is terrible . But, I did go to one Petco where all the bettas were in good shape as were the other fish. I got my halfmoon there and he is completely healthy, which actually shocked me - I have never gotten a healthy betta before sad as it is. Other Petco's and other stores around me are all pretty much equally bad though .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #19 
Livelifelaughlove

the Walmart closest to us keeps the filtered tanks pretty well taken care of, but as was said before, all the bettas are basically dead in an inch of fish....scum... its disgusting. i won't buy anything to do with pets there unless i can't find it somewhere else

Our petco, were i just got my new Crown tail, their bettas are taken well care of, rather than in just about 1 cup of blue water, they are in about a quart and a half of, almost clean, clear water and seemed healthy, granted one was dead...

But the filtered tanks had so many fish with ich in them! the employees try but there is only so much they can do...

oh and the petsmart... OMG! so their fish looked pretty well taken care of, except of course, the bettas. and i asked the guy if they had any other ones or if they had any delta (or i also called them frilly) bettas, and he looked at me like i was crazy and speaking another language. he didn't know ANYTHING basic, such as what a blood worm is...! Seriously... i mean granted he is probably getting paid minimum wage, but it pissed me off... so for the moment petco is the only one i will get anything from

Btw, anyone that has a walmart that takes good care of...anything... raise your hands... *looks around and sees none*

oh and petco and petsmart, think twice before you look into getting any animals from them. they have been sued hundreds of times for animal cruelty and kennels and whatever look ok at the store, but behind the scenes it is revolting
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #20 
michele454rocket

I too bought fish from Walmart..Unfortunately, I didn't do my research...I inherited my tank from my son because my grandson, who just turned two, kept shaking the tank...It came with two fish, angel(full grown) and unknown(some kind of chiclid) Anyways, I added 6 angels from walmart, one male beta, 2 silver dollars and some tetras from a petstore....first the angels died one by one(small angels) then my big angel fish, tonight once silver dollar and now my moore(from petstore) is looking like he's next....I bought a brand new pump(TETRA) yesterday and earlier in week bought angel food...I'm sick to my stomach cause these fish died and I'm researching like crazy and trying to save the rest...I feel like a fish killer! I told the walmart people yesterday that I think they need to quaranteen their new fish longer then two days...I was told they are heavily medicated when they recieve them and usually die within two days if they're going to and also that most of their angels get damaged from shipping....I feel real bad about my fish and I hope I don't lose anymore...I will not buy fish from walmart again though!
michele454rocket is offline   Reply With Quote