Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Do some females just stay stripey?

I bought a turquoise female with a dark blue mask her fins looked blue ect. when she was in the cup at the store. She's been here about a week and she stays stripey, her fins are grey her body keeps vertical stripes and her head turned tannish grey. Not what I was hoping for but I know things change. She is medium active. She acts like a catfish she sits on the bottom sometimes then all of the sudden she has a burst of activity.

I can't decide if she is sickly or this just what I can expect from her and from her appearance.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They shouldn't stay stripy, sometimes it can happen but it's generally not the case given the right care and all.

Is she bloated at all? Can I get some pictures? I might be able to help if she is sick. Does she eat at all?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

You said vertical stripes? horizontal stripes are stress stripes, but vertical ones are breeding stripes...
In my experience females can have stress stripes (the horizontal ones) for a while after they're put in a new home.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

My new boy Zenvo has what looks like vertical stripes (you can't see it well in my avatar) but it is actually part of his coloring...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

Sorry I meant horizontal stripes I will post of picture of her shortly. Please stop back. She is eating. The other fish I bought with her looks great and is super active. She would be going into a sorority but I am truly concerned she isn't suited for it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, I'll keep an eye for the pictures. That's good she's eating. She could just be getting used to her home. For the first two weeks I had Mystique she would go stripy anytime she saw me until she realized that I meant food or playtime and then she'd fully color up after a while. Now she goes stripy when I'm not around haha
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #7 
sainthogan

If she's young, she'll have stripes for a while, but if she's older, than she is still under stress. It could take her a while to get used to her new surroundings before they go away.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 
bethyMT

I also have a female who shows horizontal stripes all the time. She is happy as a clam and the dominant female in her group of sisters. She eats, she plays. Unfortunately, she is also the ugliest of the group, but I love her.

IDK why she sports those stripes. She has had them since babyhood, and they never completely go away, although they do become more pronounced if she is scared or stressed. Her main color is drab black with multicolored red/blue fins.

I think it is her coloring. She is also a true gaint (seriously she's got to be pushing 3.5 - 4 inches and she's stocky too). She's just a stripey ugly happy girl.

I would say watch your girl to see how she does for a while. It is commonly a sign of stress, but your may be an exception like mine.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote