Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #1 
jloyer

Exclamation What is going on with my fish??

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Couple times a day a couple pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Big chunk of tail is missing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday after his water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 3 weeks

Name:  IMG_2223.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  34.4 KB
jloyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

First off I would test your water. Second it looks as if he is stressed. Stressed males tend to bite their tails off like some people bite their nails.

Another thing he needs to be in a bigger tank. At least a 5 gallon no less. Don't go with the 1gallon per inch of fish. He definitely needs a heater in his tank.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #3 
jloyer

How do I make sure he's not stressed?

Right now it's summer and I don't have air conditioning so my house is hot but I keep an eye to make sure his water does not get too hot. I have looked up tank sizes and a gallon is fine for now.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

IMO, a one gallon tank is okay, as long as frequent water changes are done.

How did you acclimate (reintroduce) him after the water change? (In other words, what process/procedure do you use for water changes?) If you tell us this, we may be able to offer suggestions to help reduce stress during water changes.

I can't tell from the photo, but how much air space is there at the top of the bowl? And is there a cover/lid on the top?

In general, if there is a sudden chunk of fin missing, it's either because they tore it on something (like a decoration), or they bit it off. Are there any sharp edges on his decorations that could snag his fins?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #5 
jloyer

When I do his water changes I take a gallon jug and fill it with water and add the conditioner and let that sit for a while to get to room temperature. Then I take some of the water from the jug and put it in a big cup then take the fish out and put him in the cup. Then I take out everything rinse it out and wipe it down, replace everything, add in the rest of the water from the jug, then put the fish back in. I'm not sure if there's any sharp parts on the plant in his tank. I got the plant from the betta section but that might not mean it's easy on the fins. I don't see any parts of fins anywhere in the bowl though. The bowl does have a lid but theres a giant hole in it and there's about 2+ inches of space between the water level and the top of the bowl itself not including the lid. The lids raised up a little, sort of domed shaped.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, the bowl sounds just fine.

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation that may help reduce some of the stress involved with 100% water changes:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

Also, has he pooped recently? The Aqueon pellets are decent, but they contain a fairly high amount of grains. In some bettas, this causes constipation. I have a betta who bites off his tail when he gets constipated. (He bites it for a variety of reasons, but that's one of them!) I switched his food to a higher protein pellet, and he's been better.

On this forum, the two most frequently recommended pellets are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both have a quality proteins, and are less likely to cause constipation and bloating issues.

Perhaps give him a hiding place? Some bettas like these. It could be a store-bought decoration, or even something like a dishwasher-safe coffee cup.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #7 
jloyer

Thank you. Yes he has pooped but I might switch to a different food if that's better. I plan on getting a bigger tank very soon and I planned on getting a little hiding place for him when I switched to a bigger tank because there's not any room in his bowl right now. Unless a hiding place instead of a plant will work better?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Three of my four prefer their plants. I have one who likes hiding places. If you want something small and cheap, pick up a PVC coupler at a place like Lowes or Home Depot. They cost about 60 cents. My VT loves hanging out in his.

Here's one from Lowes: LASCO 1-1/2-in dia. PVC Sch 40 Coupling
Item #: 23901 | Model #: 429015RMC
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #9 
jloyer

Alright. I'll try to get a hiding place and see if he does any better with a hiding place than a plant
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'd leave the plant. Just put the PVC section on the bottom. If needed, you could remove a few of the glass pieces.

If you peek in on him at night, you might see him curled up in the plant leaves. That's what some of mine do.

Tags
biting?, chunks, missing, tail