Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
Susukihotaru

A few questions about my plants

This is the first time I've had planted tanks, and I think I may be doing something wrong. I have a few different plants in my 10, 6.6, and 3 gallon tanks. I forgot the names of most of my plants but the one plant I'm having trouble with is wisteria. In my ten gallon it is wilting slightly, and in my three gallon the leaves are turning dark brown.

For my ten gallon, it isn't planted into the substrate but floating just over top of it. I couldn't put it into the substrate all the way since I wanted it in the hole of the tree.

I would have moved the wisteria in the 10 gallon to a spot to be planted in the substrate better, except the one in my 3 gallon is planted that way and is doing worse.

And here are pictures of my other plants, I'm sorry I can't tell you the names of them, but I stupidly threw away the packaging without writing down the names. If you know what they are and something is planted the wrong way(like it needs to be tied down and not planted in the substrate, etc.) please tell me.

I know this is some type of fern.

Susukihotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That wisteria that is turning darker green in the second picture is just "melting" which means it's getting used to the water chemistry and will grow back soon. Just pick off the brown leaves and it should be fine. Do you use fertilizers at all and what is your pH level?

For plants 3rd picture is Java Fern, Windlov variety and that one needs to be tied onto something. The roots can be buried so if you just pull it up so the rhizome is not buried, it will do fine. otherwise it will rot.
4th picture looks like Bacopa in the back, not sure about the front red one.
No idea about the 5th
And 6th looks like short sprigs of Ludwigia Repens with a Moss Ball up front
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #3 
Susukihotaru

My ph is 7.2 and I don't use fertilizers, but I have a substrate for plants that is supposed to convert fish waste into food for the plants.
What is the rhizome?
And the red plant in the fourth picture is actually the same as the red one is the last picture, they were the smallest and looked a bit different.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #4 
peachii

The 5th looks Like peacock fern, I also bought it not knowing that it's not really an aquatic plant to be submerged all the time. It was a huge waste of money!

The wisteria in the second picture looks like the version of the leaves grown above water so they will all pretty much die and regrow into the submerged leaf version but will take a little while to change.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susukihotaru View Post
My ph is 7.2 and I don't use fertilizers, but I have a substrate for plants that is supposed to convert fish waste into food for the plants.
What is the rhizome?
And the red plant in the fourth picture is actually the same as the red one is the last picture, they were the smallest and looked a bit different.
Yeah I noticed it was the same plant, still not sure about it though.

7.2 is good for plants, they generally like a higher pH level for whatever reason. No need for ferts then if you've got that substrate.

Rhizome is the area that the leaves shoot out from. On your Java Fern it will be just above the roots and below the leaves, your's looks like its nice and straight so it basically looks like a green line. This is a picture of the Rhizome on a larger plant. Roots are the brown squiggly stuff and the rhizome is the straight green part that the leaves shoot from: http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/ge80jZwgO10/hqdefault.jpg
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 
Susukihotaru

The fern isn't really aquatic? Is there anyway I could still keep it, I don't want to waste my money. I've heard of some people keeping plants in filters, but I'm not sure how that would work, or if I could do it.

Thanks for telling me about the java fern, I'll go fix them right now.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #7 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susukihotaru View Post
The fern isn't really aquatic? Is there anyway I could still keep it, I don't want to waste my money. I've heard of some people keeping plants in filters, but I'm not sure how that would work, or if I could do it.

Thanks for telling me about the java fern, I'll go fix them right now.
You could try to save them but by the time mine looked like yours, when i tried to take them out they were completely mush when I touched them. It took them less than a day to completely melt. They were so beautiful before I put them into the tank. Petco/Petsmart tubes of plants have A LOT of plants that are not truly aquatic and I would guess we have thrown about 50.00 or more away buying what they had. We've done enough research now that I'm pretty confident we won't waste any more money on them by accident. I would take them out, put them in a plastic ziploc bag and go back to the store that sold them to you with the receipt and complain.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #8 
Susukihotaru

I would go and complain, but when I bought it was mixed with the java fern. It looked like I was buying the peacock fern but when I opened it, there were a couple java fern clusters hidden under it, so I think I got my money's worth. I thought I was lucky getting two different kinds of plants for one.