Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 
LostxinthexMusic

New java moss causing fin rot?

I've just gotten some java moss to add to my delta tail's tank, and since I put it in yesterday, it seems he's gotten a mild case of fin rot. Could the moss have caused this? I also just got him a little stone cave, but I didn't put that in until I changed his water today, so he can't have scraped himself on that.

Housing

What size is your tank? 1 gallon, with betta hammock, cave, and java moss
What temperature is your tank? 76*F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, flow turned way down.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Filter uses bubbler
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-5 pellets morning and night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A quarter-inch portion of the top of his tail looks like a comb, and his dorsal fin looks pretty shredded.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all; he very much enjoys the moss I added; he swims through it, rests on it, hides in it, and generally seems happier now that he has it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning, approx. 18 hrs. after adding the moss
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, immediately performed a water change and added 1 tsp. Aq. salt (should I take the moss out if I'm treating with salt?)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Persistent fin rot for the first few months I had him and a bout of septicemia about a month ago, both beaten at the same time by a slightly concentrated dose of Jungle Fungus Cure
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him from Petco in early November
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #2 
Laki

Fin rot develops over time in dirty water. He wouldn't have gotten it overnight if he was cured before. He either bit his tail, got it stuck in the filter input or snagged it on the ornament.

Either way, whatever the cause- warm clean water should fix it right up.

*you're feeding too much food too! Once a day feeding is fine or cut both your morning and night feedings into smaller meals (2-3 pellets). Something in the back of my head tells me Hikari is packed with fillers and is on the lower tier of food. It should contain all fish proteins as the first ingredients. Omega One buffet pellets and New Life Spectrum are the top foods chosen by members :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #3 
LostxinthexMusic

I feed him 4-5 of the Hikari because they're just so darn tiny. If the pellets were bigger, I wouldn't be feeding as many. He doesn't have any issues with SBD or constipation, so I'm not concerned about feeding. And Hikari is much better than the stuff I was feeding at first! If he starts to have a lot of diet-related problems, I'll switch him to one of those two, but in the mean time, I'd rather not spend money I don't have to.

Thanks, though! I was worried I'd have to take away his new hiding place... Should I take it out while I'm treating with Aq. salt, though?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #4 
Laki

You can leave the decs in there while treating with salt. Just no inverts (shrimp/snails) and no live plants.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wait, are his fins black at all or just shredded? If they're just shredded you don't need to do a salt treatment.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 
LostxinthexMusic

Laki: I do have live plants. I have java moss, which is what I was concerned about in the first place.

lilnaugrim: It's hard to tell on him, since he's a dark blue, but he's had both fin rot and torn fins before, and this is definitely fin rot. I'd rather treat with salt anyway, because fin rot has been such a problem in the past, and even if this isn't, I'd like to prevent it from becoming fin rot.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 
Laki

If you're adding salt remove the moss.

Now you know not to use the salt for longer than 10 days, right? It's probably not even necessary but it certainly shouldn't cause further harm.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #8 
LostxinthexMusic

Yes, I know not to use it for more than 10 days. And I have Epsom salt if the Aq. salt causes any bloating or fluid retention, but considering how problematic fin rot has been in the past, I'd rather nip it in the bud than have to use more powerful drugs.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually at that dosage you can go right up to 14 days. 10 day max is more for a concetration of 3 teaspoons per gallon.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #10 
LostxinthexMusic

Right. I'm not expecting to have to treat for that long; it's very mild. Probably would be fine with just warm, clean water, but I figure I'll be safe with the salt.

Tags
fin rot, java moss