Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #1 
Minnieservis

Sorority tank

I'm starting up my sorority and was wondering if I could use a 20 gallon tall tank? I know it's best to use a shorter, longer tank, but I already have this one and figured I'd check before buying a different one. Thanks!
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 
bniebetta

I think you could make it work by compromising your number of females..... You could probably fit up to 12 in a 20 gal usually, but you may want to stick with like 6 or 7 just because the space they have to distribute the aggression is decreased. You could probably put something else cool in there though with them like quite a few shrimp or a couple of tetras. Proper planting and arranging is pretty much 70% of the battle. Having adequate plant cover can really help you out in a lot of situations :D
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #3 
Minnieservis

Thanks so much! My fiancÚ told me he's pretty sure the tank is actually 25 gallons. My only concern is finding plants tall enough!

Also is cholla wood safe for aquariums?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I have seen cholla used in aquariums before. However, I think it rots away quite quickly and if you are talking about the hollowed out cholla, I would be concerned a betta might get stuck in one of the holes.

A plant like vallisneria would be good for a tall tank, and they are very easy to grow. This would provide a lot of cover at all levels of the tank, particularly around the surface.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
lissienen

I started my sorority out in a twenty gallon long and they did really well in it until my upgrade; I had seven in there along with a pleco to keep the algae down and it was a thriving tank.

As for plants that are tall enough... Not so sure on that, but you could always go for some floating ones like duckweed, I know my bettas love that.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #6 
Minnieservis

Thank you! I will definitely consider vallisneria, I love the way that looks. I was also planning on getting a few moss balls and either frogbit or duckweed. This is probably a stupid question but are these low maintenance plants? I've never had live plants before and I'm very nervous I'm gonna mess it up! I'm also planning on using gravel, will that make a difference? Thank you all for the help :)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 
lissienen

Duckweed is very, very low maintenance. I've had amazing luck with it. So long as you leave the tank light on for the usual length of time then it should grow and spread out over the surface of your tank. You might even have to go ahead and scoop some of it out.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #8 
Minnieservis

Ok great, I'm really worried about trying a planted tank, so the easier the better!

Does anyone have any filter and heater recommendations?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I like the Aquaclear range of HOB filters. They have plenty of room for media, don't take up space in the tank, and as an added bonus you can plant them up with terrestrial plants such as pothos to help keep nitrates down.

One of the best brand of heaters is in my opinion, the Eheim Jager range.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #10 
bniebetta

Duckweed is neat to look at and pretty low maintenance, but it is a MESS sometimes so make sure it is right for you. If you have anything short of a really low flow filter or one that is baffled really well, duckweed will be constantly flying all over the place, getting damaged, and therefore littering the tank with dead plant matter. It multiplies like crazy so it CAN be hard to get completely rid of. As for tall plants, my wisteria grew pretty fast and so did the cabomba. You might consider taking something like cabomba and securing it to a suction cup or just letting it free float until your other plants grow out, or mixing some really tall fake plants in there until the real ones are where you want them to be :) You can make tons of DYI decor with plants, such as hanging Java moss from PVC or tying it down with fishing line. Get creative, and it will work out just fine for you! :D

Last edited by bniebetta; 06-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote